Mac Software? Most Popular are Non-Mac?

Other than Carbide Create are there any other Mac programs?

There are a few other threads on the topic, but Fusion360 for Mac is one of the only ones if you need full 3D and CAM, without doing a bootcamp / parrallels / virtualbox setup with a windows partition.

Depending on what you are cutting, you may be able to create your vector art using software like Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer and then importing the .svg into Carbide 3d to create the Gcode.

Thanks…I will look at Fusion 360.

As noted, Fusion 360 is native. Vectric works on Mac using Wine (or Crossover). I think CamBam works via Crossover as well.

-Tom

1 Like

Welcome Barry! I’m on a Mac and use Vectric with VMWare Fusion and it’s a perfect combo. Easy to swap between the two, and it won’t break the bank either. I’ve found VMWare to be remarkably stable and easy to use. I found Vectric much more user friendly with a few added features versus Fusion360, but that really depends on your needs. The ability to draw/edit your vectors seamlessly in the same program as you create paths was a huge bonus for me, and keeps the costs (and headaches switching between file formats) down as well.

2 Likes

Hi Stephen! Thanks for the information on VMWare Fusion. Which one did you purchase the player or pro version? And what was involved is setting it up?

Player, now free is will be fine. You will still need a valid Windows license.

My apologies for the delay Brian. I honestly don’t know what I have :thinking: My receipt just says VMWare Fusion 11.5 (for Mac OSX). I don’t know whether it was player or Pro, but it ran 79.99 when I purchased. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Being a graphic designer for 25 years I’m fluent in all things Mac and Adobe. It’s good to hear I’ll be able to do some things in Illustrator. I just noticed Fusion 360 is on sale so I’m going to look at that route for my jump into 3D. I’ve used Sketchup a little in the past so I’m wondering if anyone uses it or if it’s just not compatible with this type of design/cutting?

BTW, i won’t have my machine until after Christmas but I plan to learn as much as possible in the next few months and hopefully can pre-stage some of the things needed before arrival. Glad there’s a group here to help get started. THANKS!

1 Like

@Texasrpbrock - welcome to the forums. You don’t need to purchase Fusion to learn it or even use it. It’s mostly fully featured for the free personal license (for now). Get your feet wet first, then jump in :wink:

-Tom

1 Like

Thanks Tom! Appreciate the heads up! I don’t mind eventually paying to play when I find one that does everything and worth learning. Hoping I can do simple stuff in Illustrator to at least get up and running. Would I even be close to guessing that simple cutouts can be done in AI but the 3D softwares are more for actual carving (as in depth variations when sculpting?) can I send a simple DXF (like a cutout of a name) and have the controller set the depth and just follow the path?

Thanks again

Hi Robert - I don’t think the controller is that sophisticated (like some of the new laser cutters). You can, however, import the SVG into Easel, select the type of cut (e.g., profile) and export G-Code to the 1F. As long as you select the correct bit and material, Easel will do all the rest for you (feeds, speeds, depth of cut, etc.). The settings will be very conservative, “mostly” guaranteeing success (lot of variables contribute to failure ;)).

Hope this helps.

-Tom

1 Like

Thanks again Tom! All good answers and good starting points for me to research in the meantime.

1 Like

Hi Texasrpbrock have you heard of rhino? I’m looking at it for MAC and I’ll share what I find out with you, it seems you and I might have some similar backgrounds and experiences? I’ve used solidworks/adobe/sketchup

I tried Rhino and couldn’t figure it out. Went back to Fusion.

1 Like