Makita Router No Power

Haven’t used my 1F in about 2 weeks. Just finished setting up a new job, flipped the power switch on the Makita RT0701C, and nothing. Tried a different power source, but still nothing. Ideas?

Bad switch? Try blowing it out with compressed air and try a known good outlet that you just used… I have had that issue on my larger bosch

I’ll give that a try. What about the brushes, what’s the behavior when they need replacing?

Easy enough to pull them to inspect, but yeah I’d blow it out first too. Could be lots of things though, from a bad switch, to a broken wire, bad brushes, commutator worn down, etc etc.

How many hours do you have on it… Should be well into the hundreds for a brush or commutator failure

Hmm, I’m not really sure, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near hundreds.

Ok, opened it up. Super clean inside but blew it out as well. Nothing.

Hey Watkins,

it could be that your trim router’s carbon brushes are worn out. Hand tools for single phase domestic power usually are universal motors that have commutators with carbon brushes which are subject to wear and have to be replaced regularly.

When they are worn, carbon brushes cannot provide power to the commutator anymore because due to their wear, i.e. them getting shorter, they are retained by a safety wire at their end of life (avoiding their spring to come in contact with and destroy the commutator), thereby letting an air gap between brush and commutator (making the motor cease to run).

See “Replacing Carbon Brushes” in the Instruction Manual.

Carbon brushes.

– Image source: Stan Zurek, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

2 Likes

Got a multimeter or test light? Start testing continuity. I’ll bet it’s something simple.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got it figured out, and I’m ashamed to say it was a user crash. The little Makita is fine.