Display monitor goes off then in a bit comes back on

I have a one of the original x35’s with a Makita router. Yesterday, after a couple years my 7" display began to cut off and then come back on. At the same time starting yesterday, my Makita router started changing speed and finally died. It ruin a piece of stock yesterday. I turn everything off and let it sit overnight. I started running the same file as yesterday and after about an hour the router stop and the display turned off.
Any ideas??? Help

If the router is randomly changing speed and eventually dying, it’s probably your router brushes. Can’t explain the display issue. They may not be related.

1 Like

Actually, they are probably directly related - worn brushes are incredibly “noisy” from an EMI standpoint, and the monitor cables without cores attached are excellent antennas. Bet you’ll find when the brushes are replaced the monitor behaves.

3 Likes

I think you are right. I’ve ordered new brushes
Thanks for the input!!

I can verify this to be correct. Although I don’t have brush issues, my display blanks out sometimes when I use the shop vac on the machine.

I have recently experienced the same issue of my monitor blanking out for 1-3 seconds. However, I managed to solve the problem by connecting an extension cord to a different receptacle that I know is on a completely separate circuit from both my router and dust collector.

The reason behind this problem, I believe, is that the monitor used to be plugged into the same circuit as the CNC and the router. Additionally, based on the sound and the drop in RPM (compared to my testing when first installed), I suspect that the brushes in the router are worn down.

Even when I plugged the monitor into the nearest receptacle, which is connected to the dust collector, the issue persisted, but only when I turned on the vacuum.

I won’t be replacing the brushes because I’m quite certain that the bearings are also deteriorating. Essentially, my router sounds like an angry Tasmanian Devil, and I’m simply waiting for it to either overheat, start smoking, or seize up before replacing it.

1 Like

Waiting for an insurance check for a burned-to-the-ground workshop to buy a new spindle might be false economy.

I have swapped the old Makita router for a new one.
Plugged everything in and no signal from the controller to the display. Just a blue screen that says “no signal "
I hope you guys have some ideas. I have a 15” monitor on the way.

Most monitors auto-select the input, but double-check it’s set for the HDMI from the machine.

Try new HDMI (and possibly power) cable.

Make sure the cables are not under strain (being pulled on or are at an extreme angle) and are securely seated. Carefully unplug each end, check for dust, and re-insert slowly and surely.

Try connecting the monitor via an adapter. Meaning most monitors have multiple inputs and by using an HDMI to VGA adapter may work. Warning, sometimes using adapters is the cause of problems – but can’t hurt, aye?

The last Hail Mary I can think of at this hour is possibly using the same ferrite cores that other people have mentioned here for eliminating EMI on the stepper motors, but it’s a long shot this one is.

1 Like

Thanks so much!!!
I unplugged the cables, vacuumed them and the connections on the controller and everything works!!!
My new 15" TouchPad came and now I am going to connect it.

Thanks for everyone’s help.
I also installed my new 15" Asus monitor and it worked perfectly.

I haven’t had the issue with the monitor blanking out after switching to a new, higher-power USB power supply. I think especially when you have other loads like a vac/dust collector, the stock power brick has trouble providing the right voltage.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense. I see the relation now.