Masso G3 controller enclosure update - completed

I have been working on a few projects simultaneously, and one of them was to complete my enclosure - it is now finished.
I had previously mounted and tested the initial components on the backplate, and this let me test the functionality of the Masso, the accuracy and precision of the 1F Woodworker (35), as well as create a few projects with my tangential knife design using F360, Slicer for F360, and SheetCam.

I took a lot of planning, but I am happy with the final component layout - and that I got it all to fit. I did a lot of research on control panel building, and tried to incorporate as many of the best practices that I could. The final steps were time consuming, and involved positioning and cutting all the holes and openings in the steel enclosure, final wiring of through panel connectors and internal components, labelling, addition of the safety circuit, addition of cooling, and final testing. It took me a day to get up the nerve to flip the power switch - I had nightmares of having crossed connections etc… that would fry my Masso. Happily all is working well.

The next step is to connect the sensor and motor cables and get the CNC up and running again. Masso is constantly updating and adding new capabilities, and most recently a new software update. I will probably take the time to print my settings and install this new software and then recalibrate the CNC.

Since my setup still resides on an upstairs table, I can not yet make a mess. My first real milling project however will be to engrave panel labels in 2 layer plastic sheet - I do not think that will throw chips too far, and it will be a great first test. If anyone has a Canadian (Ontario, GTA) source for such ABS or acrylic two layer engraving plastic please let me know. So far I have either found the distributers, had no call-backs, or not found anyone who will sell the small quantity I require (I am resisting purchasing from online overseas sources).

If you are still reading, I have included pictures of the enclosure. If you have any questions (or concerns) about the process, components, etc… please feel free to ask or share.

7 Likes

Quite the professional job. You must be pretty pleased.

I look forward to your next instalment. Ping when you’re done and ready. As I’ve said before, I’m keen to give masso a go.

Labels: if you can’t get the sheet consider these thoughts; two-layer 3d print labels, CNC Aluminium and oxidise, CNC anodised aluminium.

1 Like

Thank you for the praise and material suggestions. I spent yesterday looking for anodised aluminum sheet, and watching related engraving videos. I have yet to track down a local supplier of that as well, again wanting to avoid overseas online sources. I may anodise my own. I have been researching this process, as one of the milling projects I have in mind (when I can actually do so) is to make some roller shade hardware, and I plan to anodise it black.

As an aside. Once my Masso and CNC are reconnected, I plan test the Y axis splitter board I made. It may help those wanting to keep the 1F controller and adding a rotary axis (without having to switch cables etc…) - would require homing sensors which I assume the 1F controller can accept vs stall homing. Will post that adventure’s result once completed and tested.

2 Likes

Try B&F Plastics. It’s online but Indiana, US.I used them for a lot of stock last year for PPE for front-line workers on my laser. Super customer service. They also have over or short stock stuff on sale with large discounts if you’re flexible on the colors - you can see what they have and if it matches your requirements.

http://www.bfplasticsinc.com/

Thank you for the link - I appreciate it. I sent them an email with a few questions on availability, and shipping to Canada.

Beautiful job!!! Love the enclosure build

Thank you - I appreciate the comment. I learned a great deal through the process, and have electronics I can grow with, and which should perform well.

1 Like

@TMToronto: Are you a controls/automation guy by day? Considering you even labeled the components I assume yes, and you made schematics first.

very professional, looks like it came out of a panel shop.

My only suggestion is to get a $100 wire label printer. Brady has a decent one, the non-QWERTY keyboard sucks but the self-laminating wire labels are nice.

P.S. I’m a controls guy but my panel wouldn’t look half that nice LOL. “cobbler’s children have no shoes”

I’m mainly a programmer though…

1 Like

I appreciate your positive comments, thank you. I am not a professional, but like to do a lot of research and do try to follow best practices when I can. I debated about how to label the wires, and looked at some of the solutions available - it was the only thing I did not do in a ‘professional’ manner, and it still annoys me. I decided to save what little money I had left after building the panel. I may still go back and do it one day, and will definitely look at the one you mentioned.

1 Like

@TMToronto totally awesome job, professional grade all the way!

I have to second the suggestion made by @JimHatch. I’ve ordered a couple times from BFplastics, and love their Duets plastic. Hopefully they will deliver to Canada. It engraves so clean. Here’s a couple things I made with it.

1 Like

Very nice work - I hope to create labels like that. I did contact them, and they said they would ship samples even though I was not in the U.S. They have not yet arrived - it’s been a few weeks now - so hopefully I will get them soon. Shipping to Canada did not seem like it would be an issue.

@TMToronto: If you are interested in doing schematics at all. Try SkyCad, I love it. they have a free version that has pretty good features and really good customer support through their forum.

This is what I use at work, we use the paid version though.

1 Like

Thank you for the link - I will bookmark it for future use.

My PWM fan module ( Zhiyu® dc 12v 24v 48v 2 way cooling pwm 4 wire fan temperature controller temperature speed display Sale - Banggood.com) arrived from overseas. I had purchased it to add functionality to the Noctua PWM fan I have cooling the enclosure. I designed and 3D printed an enclosure box for it (see photos), and have it mounted on the side. The cover is a pressure fit, and it allows the small LED display to be visible. The display shows temp and RPM (x10). I liked the functionality of this particular module, and currently have it set to keep the fan at about half (see photo 167 X 10) its max speed of 3000RPM, until the temperature reaches 40 C, at which point it delivers maximum RPM. I chose not to connect the ‘no RPM’ alarm. One temp probe is mounted at the top of the enclosure above the 48V PSU, the second above the Masso controller on the far left of the panel (this section of the panel would get the least air circulation).

I had my controller on without a fan for a few hours while I did some vcarve testing, and it reached about 28 C max. After I had the fan on (1/2 speed) for a short time, the enclosure temp dropped to about 22 C, which is what I keep the house at. One other reason I got the module is to reduce noise. At half speed, the fan makes less noise than the internal cooling fan of my 48V MeanWell PSU.

The last item to install was a fine mesh filter on the fan intake. I chose one made by Thermaltake ( Matrix Duo)for its quality. You can see from the picture that it has started to pick up some dust and dog hair, I mounted it under the 3D printed fan cover I had made.

The enclosure is now complete … for now.

2 Likes

Excellent work. Looks as good as any professionally built controls cabinet
I have worked in at power plants and refineries as an Instrument Tech.

2 Likes