Masso G3 build update - VFD enclosure

I just finished my VFD enclosure. Just waiting for the VFD to arrive.
I have provided some details below for your interest.

I still need to decide on the communication cable I will use, and add the panel mount connector. I ended up getting my VFD cable from LAPP, and it uses 14 AWG for the power/GND and has two smaller cables for my spindle’s thermistor (I decided to have these integrated, and have the other sensor cables separate). The other cables I need will connect to the spindle’s tool changer sensors - clamped/released. There will also need to be connections from the VFD enclosure to my main CNC enclosure, I liked this cable as it is also double shielded.
I used an EMC gland to connect the cable shield to the enclosure, and an Icotek (see below) clamp to connect the cable shield to the galvanized back plate inside the controller.
The spindle power cables wrap around a ferrite core before connecting to the VFD.

I decided to purchase a breaking resistor, which you see mounted top right. I thought it might help with the rapid breaking I hope to use during the ATCs.

For those of you who like to build your own enclosures, I found another company to add to my list.
Icotek makes a wide variety of cable management products. What I really liked was they responded to my email request for a catalogue and sample in one day. Next day my local distributor sent an email saying they had been contacted, and were sending out my items. Next day my package arrived.

My spindle is a 220V model, and I am using a 24VDC PSU that runs on 220V. It is for the fan and contactor. It may have other uses in the future. The fan is a Noctua industrial PWM 3000RPM (same as in my main controller enclosure, but the smaller 120mm version). I have a PWM thermostat on order that will control its operation. I really like these fans for their power and quiet operation. On full speed, it should do well to cool the VFD, as well as the breaking resister should it require it.

The buttons on the panel front are set up as NVR switches for the VFD, and illuminate when the reset button has provided power to the contactor that controls it.

The power cable I got from ACWorks, which I chose because because of the selection, I could order online, and they have a local warehouse for pick-up.

3 Likes

Nice work, Tom very jealous

1 Like

Very good. Tidy as ever. It will be interesting to see the tool changer in action.

Have you thought about whether it is necessary to put a window in the door to the cabinet so that you can view VFD status and/or error warnings or are they displayed elsewhere?

I am excited to get up and running again as well. I am now focusing on my pneumatics enclosure, and waiting for my 8020 aluminum order.
I appreciate the suggestion, and I definitely had considered a viewing window. Omron sells a Digital Operator (basically a cable connected control panel) but at over $200 CA I decided to wait and see how my overall installation comes together. I have gotten better at putting openings into these metal enclosures, so perhaps a simple viewing window with an acrylic cover might prove to be a useful future ‘upgrade’.
I have yet to dive deeply into the VFD manual, and also need to revisit the alarm options available through the Masso controller. I am hopeful between the two I can come up with VFD status/error indication options. I also am hopeful (naively?) that the time and research I am putting into the various electronics systems will pay off in limited numbers of issues. This is all new to me so time will tell.

1 Like

Tom,
I see the big braking resistor in there. I am guessing you will stop that spindle real quick like! How did you size it? Where did you source it?

Curious about your cooling fan for the cabinet. Does it have an inlet filter?
Thx,
Alan

@Aiph5u Helped me in the post below

Thanks Andy, should have known to take a look in the VFD manual! This is an argument to buy a decent VFD to avoid the Chinglish and lack of technical data.

I have just ordered a spindle and have a bit of time before it gets here. I am going to get a Hitachi WJ200 VFD in hand soon.

I am appreciative of Tom’s information on his cabinet.

1 Like

The breaking resister was purchased from Digikey.ca - it was sized ‘electrically’ using the Omron manual (value for minimum resistance/resistance and power value of their recommended breaking resistor), as well as calculations I did based on videos I found explaining breaking resistor function and sizing (happily the values/sizing from the two sources matched nicely).

I am hoping to get quick stops - will let you know.

The fans I like and have been buying are the Noctua industrial versions - pricey but they push a lot of air. I get the 24VDC, 3000 RPM, PWM versions. I like to push air in from the bottom of my cabinets, and exhaust out the side, and try to place each in strategic locations. In my VFD enclosure, the fan pushes air in past the breaking resistor and VFD at the top. The VFD fan exhausts to the top of the cabinet, and the vent for the cabinet is behind the breaking resistor (not visible in photo). I did not precisely adhere to the clearances stated in my VFD manual, so I chose to omit cable tracks this time. My hope also is that even though the VFD vented air hits the top of the enclosure, it will immediately be pushed out of the enclosure vent which is just to its right at the top. I have also been buying a PWM thermostat devise to control the fan - still waiting for its overseas delivery. It will keep the fan at 1/2 RPM, and only kick in the highest RPM based on the temperature I decide on.

I am really excited as I am almost finished my pneumatics enclosure, and just yesterday picked up my 8020 aluminum order. Once I build my frame, I can finally move my 1F Woodworker to the basement, and attach it and the 3 enclosures to the aluminum structure. I will post updates soon, both here and on the FB advanced group, for those interested.

2 Likes

Tom, I am excited too! Looking forward to seeing the updates.

Looks great. Do you have links to the Noise Filter and DIN mounted contactor you are using?

Apologies for the delay…

1 Like

Thank you so much, this helps greatly.

1 Like

Happy to help out when I can.