Milling aluminum on the Elite Woodworker 32x32

Hi,

I want to use the Elite Woodworker (32x32) to mill aluminum parts. The stocks we normally use are 6-10 MM thick, with sizes of upto 180x80 MM. The max milling depth is not more than 20 MM. I understand the cutting rate will be small, however this should not be a problem as we will be mainly using for very small scale production.

I just want to know if the CNC machine, and the bits can hold up to the strains of aluminum milling. I intend to use air blaster/maybe cutting fluid as well, with single flute endmills.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
a

From my recent tests milling aluminum on a WWX50, the greatest challenge to overcome will be rigidity and deflection. I am learning to use F360 CAM, and am having success with multiple finish passes. I try to reduce the end mill stick out as much as possible in my tool holders as well. I mill dry, with air to remove chips, and currently use one and two flute 6.35mm end mills. I am still developing the best tool paths for the operations I plan to use.

1 Like

Any quality carbide bit with the correct feeds and speeds can handle aluminum.

1 Like

How about the machine? Is it rigid enough to handle the strains of milling aluminum?

1 Like

Without a doubt. I did some deflection tests when I first got my machine and it took quite a lot of force to see
deflection in the rails. Basically sitting on the X rail would deflect less than 0.003" at the center. I think what @TMToronto mentioned about bit stick-out is going to be much more important.

2 Likes

I recently did a project milling small channels in aluminum… that was my first try at it. I was using 1/16" single flute endmills… I had to slow the feed rate down more than I thought that I would have… I broke 4 bits in the first 15 minutes, then used the same bit for 4 hours once I got it slowed down and dialed in. There is a learning curve, but the machine will do it. BTW, I was using a Makita router and cheap Chinese made carbide endmills. Needless to say, I would not recommend starting the project with your new $50 bit. Oh yea… I have an X-50 Journeyman (not an Elite Woodworker), but I believe the answer is the same.
Bill

2 Likes

My main concern was never so much downward forces on the gantry, rather the additive ‘play’ introduced in the combined X and Z linear bearings, and the resulting deflection caused by lateral forces when milling. That is why I am finding the effective use of spring/finish passes, as well as conventional and climb milling, are so important. I know I am looking for tolerances and finishes best suited to a different type/class of CNC, but I still strive for the best. In my experience it just takes longer and means less room for error when setting cut parameters.

1 Like