Min max switches enable

Hey Justin,

no, not at all, as it has nothing to do with the stepper motors. The “min-switch” and “max-switch” choices under “Homing” on each of the MOTORS pages is for hardware limit switches. It is the selection to make the machine use them. However on Onefinity’s Original X-35/X-50 Series with buildbotics-derived Controller, your machine has no such limit switches, as a stock Original Series machine relies exclusively on Stall Homing (=machine bumps the axis carriage to the end of travel until the stepper driver detects it). As long as you did not Retrofit Limit Sensors to your machine (which the buildbotics-derived Onefinity Controller supports out-of-the box through the I/O port), this selection is useless, and activating it will only try to find a hardware switch at the home position that doesn’t exist.

One good advice: There is much information already present in this forum. Please, do more clicking on the links if you encounter some, and use the search function first to find answers, before you ask a person.

In the forum’s General Forum FAQ, it says:

One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Spend time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.

However your question in How to Wire a Stepper Motor Brake (Back to Wall Mounting) was not yet answered in this forum, as far as I understand this thread. I will be glad to provide you an answer and a solution when I can.

OT: A message from the author of this post

:face_with_thermometer: :syringe: :pill:
:medical_symbol: :hospital: :stethoscope:
:drop_of_blood: :person_in_lotus_position:

OT: Please excuse me for not having been able to continue writing in the forum, and for a moment I will be less able to do so, at least only to a reduced extent, and at least at the moment unfortunately not on topics where I have to work in my electronics workshop to implement or experiment the topic. I’m currently facing serious health issues that have the potential to knock me out completely (not cancer, but serous illness. Will be fine again though, I believe).

I plan to develop a proper solution for Retrofitting and Wire Stepper Motors with Brakes for both platforms, the buildbotics-derived Original Series as well as the Elite Series, and describe it on the forum, just as I’m working on a better, wired breakout box for the buildbotics-derived Original Series, with optocouplers (protecting the AVR), circular proximity sensor limit connectors, etc… But all this is not going to happen at the moment.

1 Like