Min max switches enable

I tried today to use the min max switch enable of the x and y axis, you can enable them no or Mc but I thought they could be used for homing the machine but when activated just initiates the e- stop ? What’s the use if these switch enables, asked 1F support and said he did not know,? Seems simple question to me. Wonders if anyone has used them already

2 Likes

I have not used them but looking at the buildbotics controller manual it seems you would need to set the homing method to switch-min or switch-max on the motors tab for each axis if it is possible:

2 Likes

I figured it out works 10 times better on switches.

if you emailed info@onefinitycnc.com or called the phone number, they do not know technical details like this. For anything technical support, email support@onefinitycnc.com

Those are used for physical limit switches, which the Onefinity does not use.

Ive got them on mine.
Converted it to use homing micro switches.

Hello Michael,

how did you attach the micro switches? Do you have a picture?

Thanks,

Changed homing to “switch min”
Connect micro switch to say motor 0 and one to ground.
Select min switch normally closed.
And there you go works perfectley.

Pics of how you mounted the switches?

So sorry I never replied. Hope this helps. 3D printed holders and a holder for a m6 cap screw for fine adjustment.

1 Like

1 Like

Do you know the repeatability or these? Also, do you have a link to the switches you’re using? Love this upgrade!

Any micro switch is useable.
I 3d printed the holders, strangely there’s screw holes exactly where you need them if you look on the axis ends. But end ones I glue on with industrial superglue.
Repeatability isn’t important as it’s purely for homeing so it knows distances it can travel and once this is set up you only home once before you start s job as work coordinates is the importance measurement.
Thanks for your interest by the way.

3 Likes

Maybe I used the wrong term here. How accurate is the position of your home once you implemented these? I know @WaywardWoodworker was able to achieve great accuracy with his implementation and curious if you’ve seen the same results or measured at all?

The 3D printed holders are great. I especially like the fine adjustment using the screw threads for an easy way to dial in squaring.

Hey all,

I really cannot understand why a person should do such a thing to himself and use a microswitch at all as long as there are inductive, photoelectric, capacitive, or magnetic sensors.

If I get up in the morning and no coffee comes out of my coffee grinder, and in the evening no radix valerianae comes out of my herb grinder, because again, the microswitch is corroded once again and I have to disassemble the whole thing first, I get very, very angry!!!

:rage:

finally got the coffee grinded by tilting the storage container backwards (obviously thereby forcing the microswitch to find some remains of non-oxidated area on its tin-plated contact surface :frowning:).

Same reason that my pile of Marble Mouses and Kensington Orbits with notice on it “bouncing contact on button 1 – replace microswitch!” gets higher and higher, making me buy new ones all the time because I don’t find the time.

1 Like

The main reason that comes to mine is a microswitch is easy to understand and they are used on many production CNC machines on the market as homing and limit switches. I agree there are many other superior alternatives on the market but when integrating with the OF Buildbotics derived controller it can become challenging to someone with the RPI 3.3v logic levels where an inductive sensor requires 12-36v to operate (Masso makes this far easier with its more industry standard field voltage inputs)

Wear and tare on mechanical limit switches will likely produce drift over time where the repeatability will continue to shift, it may be unnoticeable from one homing cycle to the next but after 100 or 1000 it may become apparent. I use a grid of dog holes in my spoil board that were milled a long time ago and drift would make the repeatable use of my fixtures impossible because the offset to work home would change.

1 Like

What a strange thing to say?
They been on 2 years at least and never failed.
If you knew about electronics and how they work you would know they fail to safe.
Like I say never failed anyway.
Every machine needs homing switches and you defo don’t need expensive ones to achieve it.

They are for homing
Not work coordinates ?
Does not matter if they move it’s simply telling machine it’s maximum start and finish capability’s of the axis.

2 Likes

Hey Michael,

this forum allows us to report our individual experiences, and also the conclusions we draw from them. I have done that and you have done that.

But that you claim I have no clue does not fall under these two categories.

Hey Derek, hey all,

I remember very well when I used a microswitch for the first time in a circuit. The next thing I made was to replace it by a reed switch and a magnet. As a child, I was fascinated.

By the way: Reed switch: Life

2 Likes

They are for homing
Not work coordinates ?
Does not matter if they move it’s simply telling machine it’s maximum start and finish capability’s of the axis.