Modify masso post processor to show router setting message

Continuing the discussion from How to determine spindle speed on Makita RT0701C router:

came across this thread that was early last year - anyone try to do this on the Masso Post in Fusion 360?
i am a complete rookie at this, but seems like a very handy thing to get prompted to do

@suprak

Is there a Masso specific post processor?

What I did in the past was modify line 557 in the .cps file

To have it read,

The addition is the “MSG” comment that gets printed that causes a prompt on the screen.
Then using a linear formula, I derived from the Makita spec RPM, it converts the requested spindle speed to a Makita dial number.

Having said all this, I always leave the router on 3 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is what i used that someone else pointed me to

And thanks.

So basically you leave it at 17k and just adjust feed based on material?

Looks like the logic in the Masso post processer is very similar.
On line 987 I see,

writeBlock(
        sOutput.format(spindleSpeed), mFormat.format(tool.clockwise ? 3 : 4)
      );

You can adapt it with my suggestion,

writeBlock(
            sOutput.format(spindleSpeed),
            mFormat.format(tool.clockwise ? 3 : 4),
            mFormat.format(0),
            formatComment("MSG, Spindle speed " + spindleSpeed + " RPM, Set Dial to " + ((0.0002*spindleSpeed) - 0.4))
        );

To achieve the same logic.

The bits I use all mostly map to setting 3 and yes sometimes I adjust the feed rate down.

@suprak after i changed this i do see a prompt in the text for speed and makita setting but cant read it since the masso text box doest scroll… i thought it would give an actual popup with the message as it does when changing bits. But if i could read the text line that would be helpful :grinning:

Also after changing this string masso no longer turns the router on automatically.

I think ill have to go back unless its easy enough to add that back in? Going to do some reading and see.

Also i use the machine file as you can default it to go to the parked position in the back vs home after a project is done. Much prefer that.

@RockingMallet

If you change the 4th line of the writeBlock() function to read

formatComment("Target RPM: " + spindleSpeed + " Set Dial: " + ((0.0002*spindleSpeed) - 0.4))

Does that drop enough characters from the string to fit on the screen? If I understand the description correctly, The string count should be 30. I’m not looking at the source to see if there is any default rounding happening here, but the math for “set dial” could technically have some rounding logic placed on it to always give the nearest whole number or reduce to the nearest tenth, which would put the char count at 31 chars.

Would that fit on the screen? Sorry, I don’t have a Masso to check.