Network direct cabling

If the controller is connected to the local network with an Ethernet cable, you should not need to worry about IP addresses. The controller makes itself available to devices on the local network at http://onefinity.local.

If your browser is unable to see the controller at this URL and you are running Windows, you may need to install the Bonjour print service and reboot. You should then be able to see .local URLs.

1 Like

Hey John,

then you know the computer hardware that never breaks (the good old days). I still have some hardware from 1996 still running here (A socket 7 board with AMD K6-2 as a router) (and yes, I still own crossover cables, I even still own a box with my old 10base2 cables and terminators), including a hard disk from 1996 that starts up everyday through the cron.daily job as if it were new :slight_smile:. It simply never failed. Recent hard disks all failed one day, after warranty expiration, but this one runs and runs and runs.

1 Like

Is your computer connecting ok with the controller? Can you send tool paths and receive router position info? How did you handle securing the SSID and password for the controller!

Hey Max,
The SSID is a WiFi construct. I thought you wanted to hardwire between the 1F controller and your cable modem. As to my setup, I have Network Attached Storage (NAS) where I store my drawing files and gcode. I have the 1F controller mapped to the NAS as well and just upload each gcode job using the 1F web interface (or from the main screen).

1 Like

Sio you don’t get the router position displayed on your computer screen preview? Appreciate your help

Max,

The graphic depiction of the router and your toolpaths is only available via the 1F web browser. This graphic display is not an option on the screen directly attached to the 1F controller. I believe this has to do with the available processing power of the Raspberry Pi in the 1F controller (not to mention you’re right in front of the cnc). The graphic is, however, a nice way to verify the model origin against the physical placement of the raw material. More than once I thought I’d set lower left corner and could see the gcode believed the origin was dead center.

If you search the Forum (try “path view” for one), I think there have been multiple discussions about the browser graphic and possible future enhancements.

Thanks for all your insights. Very knowledgeable and helpful

Ok I am lost here. You tell me to disable my wi-fi on the laptop, did that connected the Ethernet cable and that went fine. Now I cannot go to onefinity local cause my laptop is not connected to wifi???

My computer is connected to router with Ethernet cable. 1F connected to router. Look at 1F screen, make note of the IP address. Open a browser on computer and type in the “actual IP address “ shown on the 1F screen. Should connect. On rare occasions the address changes so if I can’t connect to the 1F most times it changed by a few digits, always verify you type in what 1F screen is showing for the IP. Note, I also disabled WiFi on the 1F.

1 Like