New to CNC what steps are needed to cut

Ok I have never used a CNC or laser
Mechine and have a onefinity Woodworker with lazer comming the last week of Dec. I’ve read almost ever post on this forum and still very confused as to , from start to finish . Can or would any one tell me, what steps are needed in order to make something on the CNC with router and Lazer. From reading the post it seems to me as if I’ll need software to design something and turn it into A Svg file, then diffrent software to turn that into a g code, and input the g code into the CAM software on the Onefinity mechine in order to cut something out??

I am also new to the CNC world - will be purchasing a OF soon. I do feel that the questions you are asking will require more time and room than posts here will provide.

I have started to learn Fusion 360 to help me design and print my 3D prototypes, and have found all the background and specific help needed from Internet sources. I have just now started to do the same for the CNC process. There is a wealth of information, again from the very general, to more specific. Once you start such a search, and start getting some background, you will become better at refining your questions and then have a better idea of what information you need and how to find it.

One simple video I liked, and I think I saw it posted here, was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqnvzxuXFTQ. It is related to Fusion 360 but gives a nice overview of what is involved. From what I learned you will need to look at CAD (computer assisted drawing) software to design the part, then CAM (computer aided machining) software to tell the CNC what to do, then and understanding of feeds and speeds for the type of part and process you want. These would be good keywords to get your Internet search started.

This forum has been a wealth of information and support from many much more experienced than I, so I am sure others will provide more helpful information and suggestions.

1 Like

You have the the basic steps right except there usually will be no SVG.

Three steps (often with lots of substeps) :
1)design your thing (this can be in any number of programs, I suggest Vcarve for beginners, you can add Fusion 360 to the mix later)
2)do tool pathing and generate G code (this is where Vcarve shines!)
3)feed the G code to the 1f and cut (1f and some beta testers have made some good video on this.)
This is just a napkin sketch, get farther along and ask specific questions and we will try to help.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, So it looks as if all I need is the V carve program, learning it, create some design. Save it into a g code. Import it into 1F CAM, set the tool paths and push the go after I place the material, Bit and probe test ?
Pice of cake I’ll be ready for Fusion 360 3D in no time :grin: seriously thanks for the reply I’ll be watching a lot of tutorials.

1 Like

That is correct sir, you will need to download the post processors from here as well. They are just files that help Vcarve turn out proper G code for the particular machine. (1f)

Hi Eddie - I did a series of videos a while back explaining the process. I have started redoing them this week - I hope to have the first one out Sunday that explains the end to end process. Second video will focus on the machine and terminology, third video will focus on tool paths. Or at least that is the plan right now - all things subject to change.

2 Likes

Are you planning on doing the CAD and CAM with Fusion? If so, I’d love if you could demonstrate the v-bit engraving process with flat bottoms since I’m sure a lot of us will be making signs with these machines. I know you explained it to me in another thread, but I was stumbling over some of the terminology.

Thanks for the reply. My Mechine will be here the week of the 28 so I have a lot to learn and a short time to learn some of it .
I will check out your videos.
A little ain than lķu s for the reply.

Hi Eric - yes, probably part 3. But I do have some videos on that already. Hopefully these will be more informative. If there is something you want me to cover, please let me know. I can do a super detailed walk through of Fusion CAM, but it’s not terribly ‘popular’ on the YouTubes.

-Tom

Thank you Tom - I mostly want to see flat-bottomed engravings that use a combination of v-bits for the tapered walls and sharp points in the nooks and crannies of letters, and flat endmills for the bottom areas. This is an easy task with Carbide create, Carveco Maker, but I just couldn’t figure it out with Fusion. I’d like to create my own brass stamps for embossing leather, but I figure wood engraved signs is the same process - just on a much larger scale.

Winston Moy does great Fusion projects, but his CAM portion of the videos is always way too fast.

Eric - Part 3 is currently going be an intro to the different tool paths in a general sense, but maybe I can use a sign as an example. I can certainly do a more detailed video on sign making separately though. All that said, Fusion isn’t great at v-carving. It’s alway trial and error for me. And the latest updates to their simulation really kinda suck - I don’t like how you have to regenerate the toolpath to get a fresh simulation. Anyway, always interesting in view feedback, so let me know if the videos help or if there is something I could do better.

-Tom