New tool setter arrived - test results - NEW VIDEO

I just received my new tool setter today. So far I am impressed with the service. All pre-purchase questions I had answered quickly either through online chat or email, ordered last Friday arrived today from Great Britain to Toronto, ON, Canada, and excellent packaging and frequent shipping updates.

I will post my testing results, most likely after the holidays. I am not affiliated with the company, but mentioned there may be interest on the forums I frequent. It is on sale now until Christmas.

I chose this one for its accuracy (TBD), small form factor, overtravel safety circuit, and cost compared to other products I have seen. It is solid metal and looks to be of very good build quality.

I am am looking forward to adding it to my setup.

2 Likes

Hi

Very interested in this, where are they located in the UK, I may be interested in one if all goes well with you installation

regards
Dave,

I found this for anyone looking for more info.

1 Like

The company are only about 40 miles away from where I live

looking forward to hearing how your install goes, this would be my no 1 ungrade after a spindle and vfd

Regards
Dave

When I spoke to (the owner?) I told him there may be interest in the forum(s) I am a member of. He said that if people let him know you learned about it from me that he may be able to offer some kind of purchase incentive - not to me.

I am looking forward to the testing, and will definitely share my results with the forum.

1 Like

How do you plan to interface it with the 1F control?

Dave

I am not using the 1F controller - I have a Masso G3 as my controller.

I am saving for a spindle and VFD. I am also considering getting one with an ATC, so besides the tool setter being a great addition regardless, it will definitely prove its worth with an ATC spindle.

So would it be practical to consider adding one of these to the 1F or are we all wasting our time trying to add a tool setter on a 1F.

Sounds like something a lot of people would happily buy as a kit if it were available.

Regards
Dave

I agree that many would add this to their workflow.

Jason Woodruff on the 1F FB site shared a forum link with the following thread:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.onefinitycnc.com%2Ft%2Fbit-setter-macro-v2-0%2F2757%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0DvonlNdQIqyjQHfLUkLI_nthQYytNxTjkclmrF_o8H6TWeBQNUiYQ4oU&h=AT01nNnSF8bNxnzQJFOKz4uHb7PlFOjwnWLgOxVaKiW2Fh9EcTlaITEIc77YioZ_FxcRUb8HrSsInMtG_Iz4OQUIre0RUNXVoIlKw5k0HPlQKvMa3r_kGNm8VuGguth2mA&tn=R]-R&c[0]=AT3IeYsGqROGjRGwujwCoO-YdX2ciglG0fn_S8h-_fSQ6ecb5qEb2Z_Z3c2ExTkUxWgwO-EJTOxDVmfWBeSo6UmJCq0HQOf5ob29amSY8LRwiS6ixdG1LZxU6ZxIE1GbxXjUL4AT4XQqAKr9-mpoEDRuynNkyxpVrmE

It uses a macro that they created to add this functionality to the 1F. So, while not an ‘out of the box’ solution, it certainly does work.

1 Like

Its not on the same level as the Shapeoko Bit setter though is it !

Dave

No, but maybe 1F can add it in some way to future updates. That way it would be more accessible to users, especially those who want it to work from the start without having to add macros, etc…

That would be perfect

A few days ago I finished testing the wiring of the tool setter, and I now have the sensor and over travel circuits fully connected within my enclosure. Happily everything worked as expected when I turned the power back on. The configuration of the auto tool zero routine was extremely easy with the Masso G3, and I now have some preliminary test results to share for those interested.

Jump to the two attached tables if you want the results without reading about the procedure

My testing methodology was to keep the same tool in the router for all trials, and see what kind of repeatability was possible - my assumption was that the z axis tool offset variations recorded by the controller would be a measure of the tool setter’s repeatability.

I ran a small z axis backlash gcode routine prior to starting, and the dial indicator returned to zero in the 4 trials I performed.

The results of the two tests, A and B, are presented in two tables, see attached. Although I used 2 different v bits for each of the tests, the main difference between the two is that in test B I greatly reduced the Max Feed Rates and Accelerations of all 4 axes. The tool setting speed was kept at a very low 20mm/min.

I had recently lowered the Z axis mount for the recipe vcarves. This did not allow enough clearance for me to use my dial indicator to test how well the bit returns to zero on the work piece. I did a few ‘proper’ tool changes zroing onto a wooden block, and the ‘paper method’ showed each bit was zeroing on the work piece at the correct height. I would need to get a dial test indicator (finger dial) to truly know the precision - I may purchase one in the future.

1 Like

really interesting and great example to us all

can we see a video

Regards
Dave

I can certainly provide videos highlighting the functionality of the setup. Is there a particular process or component you are interested in seeing in action?

like to see the actuation, operation, how it interacts with the control and how automated is it?

Have you created a macro etc.

Regards
Dave

No macros needed, as I am using a Masso G3 controller - made setting up the auto tool change extremely easy. I will look to create some short videos in the next few days.

1 Like

I found this within an article on the CNC Cookbook site…helps put things in perspective as I go chasing zeros…which is in my nature to do…but totally unnecessary for most projects I will tackle:

Here are some rough guidelines where accuracy is concerned:

0.020”: Beginnings of “hobby class” machining accuracy. Cheap CNC Routers can do this.
0.010”: Most hobby work is doable except for engines and complex parts.
0.005”: Some engine work is now doable and parts are beginning to have a fairly finished appearance.
0.001”: You can build about any model engine or complex tool with the exception of turbines and other very high rpm close tolerance work. For me, this is an ideal target and I find I can hold work to 0.001” in my manual machine work if I’m careful and think about what I’m doing. You will probably have to do some careful adjustment on your Asian tools as well as have the right measuring instruments and good techniques to achieve this goal.
<0.001”: Now you are into the serious stuff. If you can tread in the tenths of a thousandth, you aren’t afraid of much. If your machines can do this reliably, they are well set up and in good condition.

3 Likes

I am providing a video which shows the functioning of the tool setter, as well as the Masso G3 controller UI.
Please note the following (skip to video if you are not interested in set up details):

1. I created a simple F360 file with 2 operations (adaptive clearing and trace) using 2 different tools
  2. I show a manual tool change (T3) just to highlight the operation and generate a Z offset to compare later
  3. I am using the ‘Parking Location’ as a quick imaginary stock X/Y zero location, and a quick MDI G0 z-30 as its Z zero (a probe or touch off block would normally be used)
  4. I have slowed my rapids/accelerations down for testing - they were working over twice as fast earlier
  5. The tool setter is at a fixed location of my choosing, and the tool change location I chose is 10 cm in front of it
  6. I set the tool setter routine to rapid down to within about 1 cm, and am using a very slow rate for touch-off - I will experiment to see how increasing this impacts repeatability and precision of tool changes
  7. I am not physically doing tool changes when prompted, I am leaving a steel blank in the collet as I am still collecting data on my new tool setter’s precision and repeatability. You can see this by comparing the Z offsets for T1-T3 at the end of the video - I am happy to see they are very close (0.00124mm, 0.0025mm, and a max of 0.00374mm - well within its 0.005mm spec)

Massso G3, Sprite 10 tool setter, auto tool zero function

3 Likes