Not cutting to depth i programed

im having issues with my machine not cutting to the depth i set on carbide create (v6). i am carving names into a keep sake box and i cant cut past .0625 it seems even when my max depth is set to .25. any help i have only done 3 projects so its all new to me.

What is the thickness of your stock in your setup? Also are you setting your zero point on the top of the stock? I see the depth per pass is .062, is it attempting to make multiple passes to cut the total depth of .250?

The Stock is .75 thick. its only doing the one pass also. is there something i need to change to make it do a second pass?

1 Like

Not usually, how wide is the area you’re engraving? Ultimately that may control how deep it will cut. With a 90 degree V bit it will only cut 1/2 as deep as the width of the thickness you’re cutting, so if it’s a letter that is 1/8" wide, then 0.0625 would be the expected depth, if it’s 1/4" wide then it would cut to 0.125 and so on. To cut deeper you might need to go to a 45 degree v-bit.

Its a 10.25 x 10.25 box top. The letters are very thin maybe 1/16 wide (going for a kind of whispy cursive look)

The depth in that case is controlled by the width of the letters, since they are narrow carbide create will figure out the depth by where the bit touches both sides of the area to carve. This is illustrated by the image “same width” below:

Taken from this video:

In order to have it cut deeper while staying between the lines you would need lower degree angle V bit.

1 Like

Ok that makes since! Thank you i switched to a tapered bit and it was able to cut but now my depth i programmed was too deep lol. now just gotta deal with some other bugs im having with my machine now.

1 Like

Awesome explanation. Thx.