Onefinity journeyman must haves

Hello, new here about to pull the trigger on a new journeyman. I wanted you guys opinions on a few needs. So far I ordered…

Dust boot pro
Myers bits
Wireless controller
Touchscreen
Touch probe
4’ extension cables
I had the all surface leveling but I took it out of the cart
Can’t decide on whether qcw is worth it.

Is there anything else? I’m gonna order the light and boom arm from the Etsy shop. I’m considering the 1.5 spindle instead of the makita any thoughts on that as well?

Thank you guys for your time. I’m incredibly excited to place this order

Order it with a small touchscreen and then go to Amazon or somewhere and order a large touchscreen monitor. They are so much easier to see and use. Mine is a 22” Viewsonic but other brands should work also. It’s just a simple HDMI cable hookup

One thing I don’t see in the discussions is the use of an air compressor. It’s actually recommended in the manual. I blow off the rails after every job and also the collet I have had zero build up on either after many hours of operation and with the hose right by the CNC is doesn’t take but a few seconds to do the job

2 Likes

I think drag chains are pretty nice to have, kinda wish onefinity offered the brackets and stuff for them as an add-on though. You’ll have to buy/print/diy some yourself if you get chains.
I ordered 2 of these ones, though I’m only using 1 on the Y axis right now because I replaced the router power cord with a curly cable.

Try to figure out how you’re gonna do work-holding. I’m a big fan of the masking tape + CA glue method but clamps are good to have too. I’m using the Myers threaded wasteboard currently but I think I’d rather have done t-tracks.

You’re getting the dust boot but do you already have a dust collector?

Earplugs!

Good lighting right above your machine.

While you’re waiting on the machine to arrive you should try to make some stuff in whatever software you’re planning on using so you’re not having to spend a bunch of time learning it later. Vectric has a fully featured free trial version so you can try everything the program has to offer, you just can’t save toolpaths until you buy it.

1 Like

Thank you! Good points. I’m thinking of either buying the wen dust collector or the harbor freight one for starting out. I’m trying to decide if I should get a planer or just use the surfacing bits? Any thoughts on that?

You will need a planer for most woodworking/cnc operations. Surfacing bit/router will never replace it. Dewalt 735 is a great option if you can swing it.

The WEN DC has been great, for my cnc operations so far - If I had one complaint, it would be that it is loud. It is wall mounted directly to plywood/studs, so I can improve this myself but I dont think it will get THAT much better w/out an enclosure.

Get a cyclone separator (opt for a decent brand name) getting one sized appropriately, and get appropriately sized hose, from the DC, to the cyclone, to your onefinity. if you plan to use 4" dust boot, then stay 4" the whole way. if you plan to use 2.5 boot, stay 4" as far as you can until the cnc.

Dust boot pro is okay, but there are 4-5 much better options readily available. That’s something you’ll have to research and see yourself.

If I had to make a list;

• Software (and start practicing ASAP)
  • Electrical, 2 20a circuits or 2 dedicated 15a circuits
  • adequate lighting like mentioned
  • Table, including spoilboard, clamps, t track, threaded inserts, t nuts, 1/4-20 panhead bolts (1"/1.5"/2"/3"/4")
  • Dust collection in its entirety; boot, fittings, cyclone, bags, clamps, hose, bags for DC
  • bits - you need the essential bits but you also need duplicate of easily broken bits and the one-offs (SPE tool is a great starter brand) including a surfacing bit
  • 2 sided tape
  • micrometer/caliper
  • 1/8 collet
  • rowdy roman dust boom
  • cable management (route1wooddesigns)
  • scrap material to practice on

I’m sure I’m forgetting something. You have a great list so far but you need to get very detailed on the list, down to nuts and bolts and how things will go together, not everything is kitted as nicely as one would think. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hey Richard,

this has already been answered frequently, you can read the best answers here and here. If one would ask me, I would say this.

That’s key dedicated circuits not outlets. If the outlets are on the same circuit it won’t help the interference issue that otherwise can be manifested between the router & the controller.

People often think they just need separate outlets and that’s not the case. If they’re not controlled by different breakers, they’re not separate circuits.

3 Likes

100% what Jim said. Circuits not just outlets!

1 Like

Ok so the makita router and the cnc need their own separate circuits?

CNC and router can be on the same but the dust collector since it draws a lot of power all by itself should be separate.

Edit: I missed the part Jim mentioned about interference on the same circuit, I haven’t had this problem.

and the ‘vac’ too. The important part is the controller and screen on a different circuit than everything else.

1 Like

Ok I just placed my order, got my vCarve I’ll start wiring it and building my bench. My question is do I need the qcw? With the leveling Feet or not if I have a sturdy straight table?

Im expecting my Journeyman tomorrow! I asked a similar question a few days ago. You might get something from reading that discussion, too.

https://forum.onefinitycnc.com/t/what-to-do-before-delivery/15021

Yep. It’s not 100% required but the motor in the router (and the one in your vacuum too) generate a lot of electrical noise.

The controller and the screen can pick up the electrical noise and have issues. Usually it’s something as simple as the screen flickering or blanking out for a few seconds and then recovering. The controller keeps running the G-Code but you’ll probably freak out with the flashing screen :slight_smile:

But, bad enough noise from those motors and a sensitive enough controller assembly and the controller can stumble and skip lines of code or error out entirely.

You’ll find a bunch of posts here where people ask about their screen flickering. They’re always sharing a circuit with either the router or the vac.

I’m sharing my router & controller/screen circuit because I only ran one circuit into my table. It works fine but then I use my laptop to run the controller & the screen’s flickering doesn’t bother me. I’ll be adding an additional circuit to the table when we move.

2 Likes

I’m using the Harbor Freight, 1HP, 650cfm. I have the exhaust attached to a Rockler 5micron bag and the suction side to an Oneida 4” dust separator attached to a 55 gallon drum. Works great. Running drag chains by Route 1 and shielded extended cables for X and Z, grounded to the controller case. Bought an IGUS Chainflex 14awg, 3 conductor cable to power the Makita router. Router end, bare and twist shield into a wire, insulated with heat shrink, butt connect to ground wire, again, insulate with heat shrink. Ideally this connection would be grounded to the case of the Makita router, not possible. Plug end, bare and twist shield into wire, connect this and ground wire of cable to ground lug of plug. I brought 2-20 amp circuits to my table via a standard outlet. 1 has controller and screen plugged into it, 2nd circuit has Makita router only. No EMI issues to report after 50hrs of operation.Future plans: router circuit, cut factory jumper on HOT side of outlet, add an IOT relay controlled by Breakout Board to run router either by Gcode or manually depending on whether I plug in to the upper or lower receptacle. My controller is totally enclosed on the LH side of table with a 10” X 10” X 1” furnace filter and a 350cfm IT Tower cooling fan at the opposite end. My thought was keep it stupid, simple. Eliminate dust and heat from the controller for extended life. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share pic’s of my build and any technical info I could provide. All I know is this setup has worked flawless for me.

2 Likes

Correction, the IGUS Chainflex is a 16awg, 3conductor, Part# CF78-UL-15-03

The QCW is more a preference. It is not needed. It is convenient and quick and efficient, but many users have built much better tables than the QCW can offer.

A custom table, can also be a cabinet, and storage, or an enclosure. That option is not necessarily there with the QCW, although the QCW would occupy less real estate and be more maneuverable.

1 Like

Sorry newbie here what is the “QCW”?

Hey Dan,

see here (available here)

1 Like

You guys are so awesome. Thanks for all your help seriously. The wen dust collector comes with a 5 micron bag so I think I’m gonna go that route. I’m gonna look more into the separator. I’ve decided against the qcw. Looking at other posts now you guys are incredibly helpful thank you.