Onefinity vs Longmill

Hey XstormX, hey Chuck @clw, hey all,

a macro is explained here, it’s available on the current Original Buildbotics.com Controller, and it is requested to be implemented or backported on the Onefinity fork, but I doubt you really can expect it soon.

Update as of 2024-03-01:

I was wrong, now they’re working on implementing macros (three years after first request):

1 Like

I’ve been woodworking for a little over 50 years and am thinking of getting into CNC. One reason is a need to machine some aluminum for an upcoming project. Has anyone had experience with either machine on soft metals? Thanks in advance.

Hey Steve,

yes, there are forum members who use the Onefinity CNC machine to work on aluminium and brass.

If you buy a spindle and want to mill soft metals, be aware that the metal dust and chips are not suctioned by a dust collection system the same way than wood dust and chips. Therefore it is even more important to choose a spindle with sealing air to prevent damaging the spindle’s bearings by soft metal dust.

You can use a liquid-proof machine base and workplate and use a cutting fluid that is sprayed from a nozzle that evacuates soft metal dust and chips and collects them in a tray under the workplate. Large amounts of cutting fluids are more common when milling steel, but for milling steel, I would not use the Onefinity. Aluminium is sometimes milled with alcohol as cutting fluid. Brass can be milled dry but may benefit from a cutting fluid.

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like