Output voltage of load switches?

Looking for information on the output voltages of load one and two. Secondly are these outputs energized automatically when the controller is cutting g code?

Those pins are tied to the raspberry pi component of the onefinity controller so it’s 3.3 volts with a maximum current draw of approx.16mA.

Pin1(Load2) and Pin2(Load1) of the breakout board and can be configure from the IO tab.

Load1(Pin2) is tied to ‘MIST COOLANT’ gcode command.
Load2(Pin1) is tied to ‘FLOOD COOLANT’ gcode command.

2 Likes

There are others options (tool-enable-mode Pin15) that carry 3.3v when the M3 S# is sent, and then cuts it when M5 is reached. More info here: Tool Enable - M15 - & Breakout board - #21 by charleyntexas

1 Like

First thank you for your response. I was thinking of using these outputs for a couple of relays RIB to be exact. But I don’t think they’ll work with that voltage.
Marty

Those 3.3 volts pins are generally use to trigger relay, IOT device or SSR.

For the SSR option, take a look at one of my post an particularly the ‘How to use a Solid State Relay’ link I added in reference section.

Here is the master link for my post: Information to build you own Onefinity Companion Control Box

2 Likes

If you can, I would highly recommend not connecting things directly to the RPI - use some sort of optocoupler. If anything happens to the input/output, it will fry the isolator rather than the RPI. Just a recommendation though.

2 Likes

Thanks again guys. Yes using relays was my reason for asking about output voltages. Unfortunately the rib relays that I have are 10 volts with a dropout current of around 5 volts. My game plan now would be small isolation relay to trigger my larger voltage relays. Hopefully you guys understand my lingo. I’m more of a Hands-On know how to do it don’t know how to talk it type of guy.
Ty Marty

Hi Marty - the optocoupler should help you here. You can provide the 10v to the relays, while accepting the 3.3v input from the RPI. Alternatively you can use a level shifter - it would not be optically isolated, but is still a barrier to the RPI input.

-Tom

1 Like

Wow! Just spent some time on YT researching optocoupler and I can see why they offer such great cricut isolation. Seems like I have a plan now! Have you heard of any problems with EMI or Rfi? I had a Next Wave Sd120 and over the course of 5 months lost several controllers. I don’t know if it was the controller or possibly my home electric system. Been doing my due diligence as far as planning on grounding the machine. (don’t have it yet). Ty Marty

Hi Marty - the Buildbotics controller is in a metal box - that really helps protect it from EMI and RF interference (though kills the internal WIFI). If you lost controllers, it is likely something greater than external EMI - that’s usually a sign of noise on the control lines and poor power conditioning (in and out of the controller). Stray radio waves don’t usually destroy electronic equipment. Good luck and let me know if you have questions or need assistance.

-Tom

Thanks Tom I had a next wave sd120 my first controller was running really hot and burned out. The second one I lost one of the axis. Mind you their customer service was excellent I sent the second controller back. It was about this time that I separated everything on three different circuits figure and I had it beat and I lost the router startup relay. I didn’t received the relay before I lost another axis on my third controller. I purchased at this time a trip light power conditioner and ran several jobs for less than a week. When I lost that last controller I asked for a refund and was granted a full refund minus the cost of the software. So my plan is to take every step within my power to protect my new CNC when I get it from every possible or probable problem.
Marty

Wow - long series of unfortunate events. Hopefully the OF will treat you better!

-Tom