Information to build you own Onefinity Companion Control Box

Edited: 2020-02-01
FEATURES:

• Support BOTH controlling automatic powering of accessories (like vacuum, colling pump, router) from:
    • Onefinity/Buildbotics Brand Controller
      And/Or
    • HY Huanyang brand inverter controller
    • Manually
  • Support Dual Power Source (Automatically controlled accessories use a second power cord that can be plug into an outlet that is on another circuit breaker)
    • Primary power cord for on or off switching of CNC, VFD and Light
    • Secondary controlled by SSR-Solid State Relay or Manually from switch when position is MAN
  • Multiple Dedicated switches:
    • Emergency shutoff switch
    • Switch to manually control Lightning state (On-Off) using primary power source
    • Switch to manually control CNC (On-Off) using primary power source
    • Switch to manually control VFD (On-Off) using primary power source
    • Switch to select controlling source for automatic power on. User can select CNC or VFD. Each switch set to «AUTO» will be triggered.
    • Switch to control Router (Auto-Off-Manual) using secondary power source.
    • Switch to control Vacuum (Auto-Off-Manual) using secondary power source.
    • Switch to control Cooling Pump (Auto-Off-Manual) using secondary power source.
  • 6 Power Outlets

Note:

1. A Solid-State Relay (SSR) device is used to switch on or off accessories using low voltage input signal coming from either one controller (Onefinity/Builbotics or Huanyang). SSR is an electronic switching device that provide complete electric isolation between low voltage input signal and high voltage load source.
  2. Multi-Output of HY Huanyang VFD (page 12 of HY manual: basic connection diagram ) is used as input voltage.
    *VFD Configuration needed so it trigger multi-output when spindle run)
    • PD052 SET 2 SET – DEFINE Multi-Output 3 (FA, FB, FC function)
    • PD053 SET 1 SET – DEFINE Multi-Output 4 (KA, KB function
  3. External documentation

[ETSY link to get digital file for the box, print instruction, BOM List, Wiring Schema]
(CNC VFD Control Box digital File Only - Etsy Canada)

16 Likes

ok too cool just bought the plans thank you

1 Like

@blaghislain - have you build one of these?

Nice. Just ordered and will give me something to work on while I wait for my OF.

The SS relay on the BOM is no longer available on Amazon. I’ll be able to find a suitable substitute no problem, but thought you should be aware.

1 Like

Cool - thanks. I was curious about the SCR. I’m thinking about building a control panel, but network enabled via WIFI. I haven’t been able to find any switches with 20amp relays to support the my vac - I’m wondering if the SCR would be sufficient and I could interface with my WIFI module?

-Tom

A Solid-State Relay (SSR) device is used to switch on or off accessories using low voltage input signal coming from an external device. As an example SSR-25DA or SSR-40DA can be use as a switch for 25Amp or 40Amp on the load side. They need 3-32volt dc on the low voltage side.

If you can use your wifi module to feed the SSR an input voltage between 3-32 volt DC then it will work. Regards

Thanks - appreciate the input.

Whats the cost of you to build one as close to plug in ready as possible?

Do you need to reprogram PD001 and PD002 on the VFD every time you switch sources or it’s not needed. What would be the value for PD001 and PD002? And would be the jumper settings, 1-2 short or 2-3 short?

I never reprogram those. PD001,002 define if your VFD will be control remotely (aka 1F) or from the VFD control panel. If you refering to my schema, the switch ‘Source Auto Mode’ enable you to choose if the SSR (for vacuum, pump, etc) will be controlled from 1F (pin 15, pin 25) or from VFD (pin FC, pin DCM).

Got it. Any reason or advantage switching source from the 1F controller or VFD to trigger that Auto mode? I will probably just stick with 1F controller to do the auto source.

Hi Ghislain!
Perhaps a stupid question from my side… But isn’t the pump supposed to be submerged in the cooling liquid? Or…?

1 Like

With VFD I don’t need to adjust anything in the gcode and SSR is trigger few second more (i.e. during decrease speed ramp) so accessories (vacuum) run a longer time and the dust can better get out of hose.

With 1F, I thing, you need to adjust the gcode and this may be more complicated.

Also I don’t have a laser yet and I added this option to be able to switch accessories when using other option than the spindle/router. Example for the vacuum to get laser fume. I plan to put my vaccum out of my garage.

OK. I’m afraid I still don’t get it.

The design in your Etsy product shows the little pump unit inside the VFD encasing.

Three holes in the top of the encasing: 1 slit (for power cable?), and two holes (for incoming and outgoing hoses that are connected to the spindle?).

There’s a hole in the bottom too. Does that connect the pump to the reservoir? How?

Thank you for taking your time to guide me through. I really like your idea and I want to understand it so I can contemplate whether I want to add it to my setup. :slight_smile:

That make sense now. Thanks for the information.

Aaaahhhh, so item 4 is the reservoir!
Do you have an idea how much liquid it can contain, when taking the pump into account as well?

My setup is in function for a while and did not measure it on install. Today I removed my reservoir and empty it. I was able to see that some fluid was still in silicone tube and probably some liquid also in the little pump and spindle. Then reinstall the pump and fill with plumbing liquid. It was more difficult to reajust the silicone tube for not bending today than on first install.

I was able to add approx 1.5 liter of fluid. (excluding the liquid already in the system). Also I initialy bought 3.78liter of fluid and I figure I use approx 2 litre total (note that I don’t know how much fluid fall on my floor today during the procedure)

1 Like

Recommended Huanyang Configuration

Unlock VFD Config

PD000 SET 0 SET – UNLOCK VFD CONFIG

Initial Configuration provided HY for my 110V 2.2kw water spindle (Check your own manual)

PD005 SET 400 SET – DEFINE MAX FREQUENCY SETTING TO: 400.00 Hz (default was 50.00)

PD004 SET 400 SET – DEFINE BASE FREQUENCY SETTING TO: 400.00 Hz (default was 50.00)

PD002 SET 1 SET – DEFINE SOURCE OF OPERATING FREQUENCY SETTING TO: SET BY EXTERNAL TERMINALS. (default was 0)

PD070 SET 1 SET – DEFINE ANALOG INPUT SETTING TO: 0~5V (default was 0)

PD072 SET 400 SET – DEFINE HIGHER ANALOG FREQUENCY SETTING TO: 400 (default was 50.00)

PD144 SET 3600 SET – DEFINE RATED MOTOR REVOLUTION SETTING @60Hz TO: 3600 (default was 1440) or 3000 for 50Hz

PD008 SET 110 SET – DEFINE MAX VOLTAGE SETTING TO: 110V (default was 220)

Configuration for automatic control with 1F communication

PD001 SET 2 SET – DEFINE SOURCE OF OPERATING COMMANDS SETTING TO: SET BY COMMUNICATIONS PORTS AS COMMAND SOURCE (default was 0)

PD002 SET 2 SET – DEFINE SOURCE OF OPERATING FREQUENCY SETTING TO: SET BY COMMUNICATION PORTS. (default was 0)

PD163 SET 1 SET – DEFINE COMMUNICATION ADRESSES SETTTING TO: 1 - MUST MATCH ONEFINITY BUS-ID (default was 0)

PD164 SET 1 SET – DEFINE COMMUNICATION BAUD RATE SETTING TO: 9600 – MUST MATCH ONEIFINITY BAUD (default was 1)

PD165 SET 3 SET – DEFINE COMMUNICATION DATA METHOD SETTING TO: 8N1 for RTU – MUST MATCH ONEFINITY PARITY

Configuration to trigger SSR (i.e start pump and vacuum)

PD052 SET 2 SET – DEFINE Multi-Output 3(FA, FB, FC function)

PD053 SET 1 SET – DEFINE Multi-Output 4 (KA, KB function)

Lock VFD Config

PD000 SET 1 SET – Lock config

4 Likes

Update for Initial Configuration
PD014 SET 1.5 – DEFINE ACCELATI0N TIME TO 1.5 SECOND (default was 10)

Updated my ETSY package with an extra faceplate stl file that as a laser icon instead of router icon. People that have already buy it can donwload it again or contact me from etsy to get it.

3 Likes