Please Help! X Axis Position is less than minimum error

Hi Allen,

My wasteboard is basically the Myers threaded wasteboard but I created the file myself. I have it carve a 0.08” deep 0.75” diameter pocket followed by the 5/16” hole at 0.75”depth. Each of the holes are 2” on centre from each other on both the X and Y. T-nuts fit perfect in the test cuts I did on some scrap wood before trying to do the actual wasteboard file.

After probing XYZ on the front left corner and getting the error, I tried moving the bit in by roughly 1/8” on both the X and Y so my full 1/8” bit was over top of the front left corner. Then I just probed Z which then gave me the X axis error.

Just thinking now, when I manually set zero for X and Y, do I need to push a button on the monitor to register those as the X and Y zero once I have them where I want it?

After trying for well over an hour and shutting the controller down numerous times, nothing was working so I ended up giving up.

Given this is my first cnc, I enjoy learning but founds this frustrating after having done my 2 test cuts that worked perfectly

Thanks!

If I understand it correctly, you can either set your workpiece zero using the touchprobe for XYZ (or just Z), or you can set them manually using the buttons shown in the picture (for X and Y in this case). Move the router to the position you want your X and Y to be, then press each of the “zero” buttons to set that as your zero point. This is what I did: I moved the X and Y axes back to home, then bumped them both in a half mm or so, then pressed the zero buttons to set that as my workpiece zero. Then I probed Z to get the correct Z offset height.

Keep in mind something else also: If your Easel file sets the spoilboard size to 32.125", then you’ll probably get a Planner.PY error for maximum X or Y soft limits exceeded since you just shifted your entire spoilboard design over slightly, and probably outside the bounds of the machine. I made my spoilboard design size to be 32" x 32" - again, knowing my actual bit is bigger than the bit I used in the design, I’m sure it will hang over enough to guarantee the whole board will be flattened.

BTW, I’m doing the exact same thing as you - using Myers’ design as the concept but designed it from scratch myself, just for the practice. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks Allen! Sounds like we are in the same boat.

I have resized my project workspace in Easel to 32”x32” and will manually set X and Y zero and then hopefully I should be good to go.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Awesome, good luck with it. I know the learning curve is kinda steep but we will be pros in no time!