Power management?

What’s everyone using for power management on their tables? Right now I have a simple power strip for the Makita router, 1F Controller, and screen display. Likely adding a web cam too. Wondering if I should stick with the power strip or change to something a little more convenient e.g. individual power switches etc?

2 Likes

Hi Kevin - right now I have my controller and spindle connected to a power strip and my vac goes right into the wall (separate circuit). I’m in the process of building a control panel so I can control everything from one place. Details on that coming soon :slight_smile:

-Tom

2 Likes

I would love to have a high-end 1U Power Distribution Unit (PDU) that has individual switched outlets…but those are prohibitively expensive for me ($300+). These are made to distribute power within a Server rack, so you know you’ll have good quality, isolated power to all your devices.

1 Like

Kevin,
Thank you for asking the ? About power distribution. I wish more folks chimed in. I am wondering what to do, I have a 220 v rfd, 220 v water pump,110v controller,110 volt monitor, 110 fan radiator for cooling the spindle and probably some I left out, that is a lot of plugs to pull
:flushed:

My setup is pretty basic. The 1F controller, monitor and router are on a single power strip along with a WiFi MESH extender. The vacuum is on another circuit by itself.

To date I’ve had no trouble with any power issues such as noise interference with all that on just one 15A outlet. Note though, that I’ve had no cuts longer than 2 hours to date as well.

I generally don’t run any other tools in the shop while ‘playing’ with the 1F but when I have it has always been with the same no trouble results.
Note to self; plan to check current load in the service panel during the next carve to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Just a follow up to the above points. I checked current draw on the supply circuit for the 1F, monitor, router & WiFi MESH and got an average of 7.7amps. It was taken during a detail cut operation using V-bit rather than an end mill but that probably wouldn’t have made much difference.

Perhaps a waste board bit might bring it up some but there is plenty of head room even on a 15 amp circuit.

1 Like

Phil,
Thank you so much for that information. I am still not sure about turning on and off all the different support pieces . Managing both 220 and 110 but I will get there, thanks to you I now know load is not an issue.
Dave

While I have only had my machine for a couple weeks, I have been running the router, monitor, controller, and shop vac all on 1 15 amp circuit. As the dust shoe was not shipped with my machine, I have been holding the shop vac while creating my threaded wasteboard, surfacing the wasteboard, and a few other projects without any issues. Have also had a small iPod playing through a little stereo all at the same time.

2 Likes

Jonathan - it all depends on the power required by your vac. Mine says 12 amp draw. Coupled with the 7amps from the router and anything else on the circuit, a single 15 amp circuit would be insufficient. Now, do both pull max current all the time? No. But it would really suck if the break popped during a cut and everything went dark. Just something to consider. As always, YMMV.

-Tom

1 Like

Thinking of a UPS just in case of a power loss or trip during a carve, will have to do a little research to see how big it needs to be though. Would probably only run the router and controller off of it.

Very simply set up for me…the 1F controller, monitor, router are all plugged into a decent power bar/surge protector. Shop vac is on a separate circuit.

Eventually I may go to a break-out where the router and shop vac can be controlled by Gcode.

Someone else mentioned a concern about stray interference…I run my 240V 5HP planer and 2 HP DC at the same time as my 1F is running. No issues, but so far only short projects.

-Mark