Power Requirements Oneinfinity

I’ve looked through a lot of information. My machine is ordered and expected the week of May 23, 2021. I have a question about circuit setup.

I have a 20 Amp circuit I’m using for a hot tub only. I am thinking of wiring into that for my CNC since I will only use one at a time. I.E. the hot tub will not be operating at the same time as the Oneinfinity. I do not want to add on to my panel with a new circuit.

So, good idea or not?

Are you using the same outlet for both or doubling up wiring to another branch? I’m more than confident electrical code does not allow for using a single protection device (circuit breaker) for parallel circuits regardless of duty cycle.

I know many of us are probably guilty of doing that with out consequence but doubt you’d find anyone who would underwrite that approach without warranty.

I asked about power requirements back in November. Power requirements for controller . I think you will find this helpful.

Having the circuits in parallel isn’t an issue; most outlets in a room in a house are wired in parallel. The exception are the ones run on a dedicated circuit (a fridge, for example). So long as you use the proper gauge cable for a 20amp circuit, wire it, and mount it properly it would be safe. No telling what local code may say (they may have some specific wording for hot tubs), regardless you will be safe.

*** legal stuff: if you do this solely on my say and fry… not my fault *** (but what you propose is safe)

Phil and Chuck:
Thanks for your input. I will take both into consideration. Local code requires the hot tub motor on a separate circuit. Since I almost never use it and would never use it while using my CNC, I believe it will be fine. If need be I will disconnect my hot tub.

To be a bit clearer, if you are adding a second branch to your service center’s circuit breaker, i.e. hot tub, it is not advisable to ‘double tap’ at the breaker. Double tap means putting two wires on the breaker’s terminal
An acceptable approach is to pigtail both branches so that only one wire is terminated at the breaker terminal.
If possible, you should also apply a label to both pigtail wires to help ID each branch to eliminate confusion in the future.
My apologies if this is more info than you wanted…I have a thing about messy service panels.

I will not be going into the circuit panel other than to turn the breaker off. I will be using a junction box in the attic. Will cut the main wire and then run two separate wires to each utility. Outlets will be GFI.

1 Like

Good plan and should work great.

1 Like

Thanks for your help.