Project Wood Sources

Where do you source your wood from? Anyone buy smaller “blanks” online, and is it a good idea to do so? I am probably 6 weeks out on getting my 1F, but in my mind it is already in my garage with a large backlog of projects I need to get busy on!

I know the wait is a killer for sure!

I get my wood from various places…sometimes even big box HD or Lowes. Mostly though, I use a local warehouse that deals in retail sales. I also get quite a bit from sources that sell live edge slabs and the like some are/aren’t kiln dried.

I have a new rule lately though, no more reclaimed wood! I just wasted another end mill from a hidden chunk of a nail that got by my metal detector.

Have heard others have had good experience with Bell Forest online. Personally I get much of my project lumber from the local General Store in Geneva, FL. Sometimes I also buy from the “blue” woodworking supply store in Apopka.

Bern - it really depends on what you are making. I get most of my large stock from local hardwood dealers. I’ve occasionally used some of the stuff from the big box stores, but it costs a fortune compared to milling your own stock. I use Inventables for some items that I can’t find locally, but I don’t generally use them for wood due to the cost.

For thin stock, I use Ocooch almost exclusively. They have a really amazing selection and quality. For some funky dyed veneer, I use Marwood. If it matters, some times you can get lucky on eBay and Amazon.

Hope that helps.

-Tom

3 Likes

Just got my first shipment from Ocooch. Everything came really well packages and seems to be really great quality. Even ordered one of their boxes of Domestic Seconds and got some interesting stuff. Thanks for the recommendation!

With the box of seconds do they tell you what species they are? I’m shit at identifying wood.

@GrimResistance you can pick between the the domestic and exotic wood box, which is limited to a select subset of species that they offer. They don’t tell you what each piece is when it comes but it will be much easier to figure out in that case.

So far Ive been chewing up all the cutoffs from 6 years of woodworking. You may have luck at furniture shops or large scale places that work with hardwoods. Ive heard of people getting truckloads for free or less than $1 a BF

1 Like