QCW Frame and Legs Wobble

My QCW frame and legs wobble a considerable amount during a carve. What are some ways to fix this wobble? I’ve read on a few posts about using angle iron to brace the open ends (front a back) and this may help with the wobble. Has anyone had any improvements that work?

Thank you in advance,

Jake

You might try lowering the acceleration values for X and Y , I set mine to 10" it was 19" per minute and it calmed the machine down without adding much time to the machining, if you don’t like it change it back, sorry I assume you are using the Elite control, if the BB, not sure.
Thanks, Pat

3 Likes

Ended up screwing some angle iron to cross brace all four sides of the table, which took out a majority of the movement on the table.

1 Like

Thank you. I will try that.

I was thinking about something like that, would you have a picture of what you did?

1 Like

I didn’t place bracing on all 8 corners, but rather just one per side. Eventually, I may add more; however, this set up has stabilized it quite a bit. You can see in the pictures I used the bolts on the frame and stand where I could, and then I had to drill in some locations which were on the left and right of the machine. Ideally, I should have braced opposite corners on the left and right, but my ADHD brained zoned out while working and I placed them in the same corners as you may see in the pictures.

Also, as you can see, I did not actually use angle iron. I used slotted angled steel. 14g or 12g, does not really matter. These were nice to use because I didn’t have to drill through them.

Hope this helps!

Additionally, I did slow down the acceleration of the X & Y, which helped with the wobble, but did not completely eliminate the issue. The bracing and lowered acceleration both helped, but did not completely eliminate it.

2 Likes