QCW with aluminum inserts

I was thinking of stiffening the spoil board by ordering 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick aluminum plate that I can insert into the slots of the QCW table.
2 sheets of regular size 31x8.75
1 sheet a little longer, 37x8.75, it would stick out at the front of the machine and carry the rotary.

Your thoughts?

If you think its a great idea I know a company in Georgia that does waterjet cut aluminum, I bought there before and they seem to have fair prices.
They can also waterjet cut the screw holes, so only tapping would be needed.

1 Like

Not sure on this one. I have a Foreman with a QCW, and I really dislike the stand. Sure, the spoilboard flexes a bit (~a few hundredths of an inch). But, my main issue is that the entire stand shakes during y-axis moves (~half an inch or so). Maybe consider some cross bracing.

When I actually have the time, I’m going to build a real stand and lose the QCW. Sort of wishing I’d not disassembled and thrown out my Journeyman’s stand when I gave it away.

1 Like

Yes, the QWC worked with the buildbotics controller but very shaky with the Masso.
I am not too happy either
I reduced the acceleration by a factor of 20 or so, when changing direction is really when the machine shakes. I also slow the fishing toolpath to a trickle. I was thinking of fixing the frame to a wall, or maybe bracing.

I found a plate of 3003 costs only $70, and one needs only three sheets. (32x8.75x0.5 inch)
https://www.cut2sizemetals.com/aluminum/plate/apl/

1 Like