Really frustrated (Over / Under toolpath warnings)

Glad you found helpful and if you want an in-depth training check out Garrett Fromme channel he does an excellent explanation on every aspect of cnc.

Rick Mathewson

yeah thats where i got started hes good and very informative on the ins and outs of vectrics but not the machine we have

I had to just flash the micro sd card in the controller with the vanilla image file to get machine stable again. we shall see how long it stays stable hopefully for the life of the machine

I never changed the settings to make it go unstable Im pretty sure my network was hacked by someone because when you connect with wifi it says its not a secure connection so anyone can access it and you know how these hackers are

Ah yes, the big score.

1 Like

That was a nice get away. I was there back June. We rented a cabin there and stayed for the weekend.
I didn’t like all the crowds to visit dolly world etc so we just stayed at our rental cabin and enjoyed the peace and quiet and ate lots of grilled food and drank lots of cold beverages
Came home fat as pigs :laughing:
Thanks for your reply and all input greatly appreciated

yeah you cant trust being online these days too many criminals out to get your information so they can rob you of everything.
take care and thanks for the reply

I was just ribbing you a bit as I got a chuckle out of your comment. Hope I did not offend.

While I don’t disagree with your point, WiFi has a relatively short range. If unsecure, it’s an attack vector for nosy neighbors or people who park in your driveway. But your internal network is still firewalled from the rest of the internet by your router.

2 Likes

No you dont offend me thats hard to do lol
Yeah im trying to understand how it works and asking around how to better secure things because the web browser shows its not secure when connected
Poke at me all you like idc but expect it back :laughing:
Im old school sticks n stones my break my bones but words will never harm me

1 Like

“Sticks and stones” I loved that response! :rofl:
I think most of us expect to get razed back when teased, unless your a millennial, then you’ll need therapy for 6 mos when you get offended​:rofl::rofl:

I wanted to chime in on your thread….I added up the price of getting the Google home and a booster to get my system on the network however, it cost me lees to have an Ethernet cable from my modem to my machine and it will give the best connection, hope that helps…

1 Like

Yeah i can run a cable but my signal is strong no issues there.
I got lucky someone gave me this router back few yrs ago to use when i was having issues with my isp equipment. One of the best I’ve ever used. Has a very long range but machines very close
Check your browser when connected you’ll notice its not a secure webpage or mines not i just wanna know how and if it can be secured. When you are connected with your Ethernet cable does it show its a secure connection in your web browser ?
I have plenty of cable i can run just lazy and dont wanna get my drill out and wire fisher to string it thru floors and walls and to crimp new ends on.
I don’t need the connection but it is a nice feature not to run back and forth with a usb flash drive to get files on the controller to run and keeps you from fat fingering the touch screen. May just upgrade the touch screen to a larger one to help that issue but they are rather pricey.
A Guy might as well get a production model cnc by the time you do all the upgrades
This one i have suits me ok
Its fun to tinker on

The browser connection to the Onefinity web interface does not need to be secure, for a number of reasons.

1. The “web page” you are connecting to is not on the internet. It’s hosted locally on the Onefinity controller. Your communications to the Onefinity controller never leave your local network.

2. You should not be entering any sensitive information such as bank account or credit card numbers into the Onefinity interface.

3. SSL (HTTPS) is just encryption for web pages. It does not protect you from attackers on your network. It only means the information you send back and forth between a connected device and the Onefinity “web” interface is encrypted from sniffing on your network, as opposed to being sent in plain text. See #2. Anyone on your local network could still SSH into your controller.

4. SSL certificates are distributed through Certificate Authorities but require specific signing information and validation, such as domain ownership, to be issued. See #1. They also have limited life spans, requiring periodic replacement.

5. You could technically issue a self-signed certificate and get all the same benefits as an SSL certificate issued from a Certificate Authority, as it’s simply a key pair encrypted connection. However, your browser will make a bigger fuss about the self-signed certificate than no SSL at all. Again, see #2.

There are other things that could be mentioned, but this should cover the bulk. If you’re going to do anything, secure your WiFi to prevent unwanted connections to your local network from nearby actors. The rest is not a worthwhile security concern, and you can move past it.

3 Likes

I am an IT Consultant, and +1 on everything @Matticustard stated (very well written too). I seriously doubt any bad actors want to hack into our OF’s and doink with our default settings. If you really do suspect some nefarious stuff is happenning, you can always tighten down your local network with MAC address filtering.

4 Likes

Can you dumb that down a bit🤣 I am getting ready to set up a local network and want to be prepared

Thank you

would love to read a very simple summary of what cnc geek was experiencing, how it was fixed. Thanks.

It was user error in that case.

1 Like

Hey Douglas,

was too impatient and put the machine into operation without RTFM first.

by RTFM (replace “R” by “watch” and “M” by “video” as desired)

4 Likes

Bad wire in z axis connector. All thia time it was jyat a pin ahoved back. Sent several videos to support and they finally said uts a wire issue ao i examined with an eye piece and sure enoygh found 1 pun pushed back. I used a paor of thin nose pmoers and pulled the pin back up into correct position and ive bot had a single iasue since. Love it

1 Like

Bad wire user error apparently i jacked a connector up pluging it back in after moving things around and doung clean up and routine maint
Suport figured it out finally after 7 days of pure hell i went thru doung thunga that weremt even related to issue as we know now
But they got right on ut and sent me a new wire and i jad ut in 2 to 3 days time although u fixed the pin in less than 10 mins and was back running. Its took me until now to gain trust back in the machine again. Thought it was fixed a few times before this and bam outta ni where errors and all kimds of unexpexcted things happened but not a single issue now for what a month. Nice
Thank support they figured it out

Hey Derk,

but that was surely not the cause of “over” / “under” / “less than minimum soft limit” errors.

Of course it can be very confusing if you have a bad connector at the same time. But you understand, you got to learn to understand the different issues and their possible cause and this is not possible without taking a bigger amount of time for learning how it works and what it means. It is important to take time to learn. Making mistakes that are user errors, as well as encountering errors that are not your fault, both is very good for learning to know to master a CNC machine. Errors and mistakes should not be seen as an enemy or as something to avoid, but as something to welcome. I’m sure you feel a little bit further on the way of mastering it.