Spoilboard flattening (solved)

Need a sanity check here. My son just bought an X50 woodworker, homed it and created a square using the outler limits of x y travel. Installed his spoilboard and grabbed a file from Ben Myers for flattening using a 32x32 surface. Zeroed x & y to the home position and z to the surface of the spoilboard. He tried to run the program but the controller warned that the machine was beyond the limits and wouldn’t run.

Does he need to move x & y inboard a little to make it run, or what?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

Can you post the specific message or a picture of the controller screen showing the 3 axis homing and over/under status?

1 Like

Ensure that the outer edge of the bit stays inside the machinable space… Often people are using a 1" bit and they setup the toolpath such that they actually would cut a 32.5" wide spoil board which the machine says it can’t… I believe the soft limit is 32.125"… So… You can either cheat this by making the stock smaller and then doing a final boundary cut manually or you need to dial in on the dimensions a bit tighter

4 Likes

Check on your screen which axe(s) was beyond the limits. If it’s like me, probably the Z axis, I had that problem when I tried to maximise the volume capacity of the machine. At the end, I had to lower the router a but to have enough travel.

1 Like

I just lied to the 1F, told it I was using a 1/4"bit to clear a pocket 815X815mm and sneaked in a bigger bit.

5 Likes

Pierre - thanks for your note. Mine is x y boundary limits, but the flattening file is 32" x 32". The z axis is fine. My bit reaches the spoilboard surface w/o problems. Seems like I need to move x & y in a small amount to accommodate this, or zero from the center of the spoilboard. That’s my guess anyway. Will try again tonight when I go over to his house.

Tom

1 Like

Derek - I can, but not until tonight when I go back to my son’s house. Stay tuned.

Tom

1 Like

No worries, with the screen shot of the specific status we can provide more precise advice on the issue.

In the mean time take a look at this thread:

1 Like

Hi Tom, it must be within your programming file. My waste board was actually 32.5 X 32.5, I used a 1" surfacing bit and it worked fine, I placed my wasted board 1/4 to the left of the X axis and 1/4 bellow the Y axis. If you are good at reading GCodes look at your program and check if the total travel movement of the X and/or Y axis is greater than 30.126" (which is the maximum travel) than this is the problem. If you have Vcarve or Aspire and a 1" surfacing bit, I can send you my Aspire File if you want,

1 Like

I made the spoil board the exact dimensions of the travel in both x and y directions. My file was created in Easel. I do have Vectrics Vcarve trial, but I don’t think I can actually run from it.

Hey Tom,

have you checked that under “Limits” on the “MOTOR 0” and the “MOTOR 1” pages the “max-soft-limit” is 816 mm? This is set when you reset the configuration on the Admin page to “X-50 Woodworker”. You can also set these values manually as resetting configuration also resets all other settings changes.

As Derek said, the exact error message is necessary to diagnose the error, and the axes values shown on the CONTROL page. You could also upload the .ngc file with little “upload” icon in your forum post composing window so that forum users can have a look at it.

By the way, you know that when you run the Onefinity Controller User Interface from a remote computer, you can see the 3D toolpath simulation? There you could see at first sight where your 3D model exceeds the workarea that the machine can work on.

Also it is crucial that in your 3D model, your workpiece zero (or workpiece origin) is at the same position as you zero/probe it on your machine. Both have to mean the same point in 3D space. If you drove x and y to home (i.e. to machine coordinates x=0, y=0) and probed z on the machine bed, then this can only work if the workpiece zero point in your 3D model is at the same lower front left corner position.

Pierre - here’s the photo of the error message

1 Like

So should I reduce the size to 31x31 since the bit is 1”?

Hey Tom,

in your axes settings I can see an absolute position and an offset of 410.683 mm. This is wrong if you assume you have workpiece zero at machine x,y home. Unfortunately I can’t see more, but this means that probably your workpiece zero is not at lower front left corner. Could it be that your workpiece zero is at the center of the workarea?

Yes I changed it to the center thinking it was an edge boundary limit. It was lower left to begin with, but still getting errors

You can, but usually this is not necessary. The Woodworker can use the full 816 x 816 mm workarea, measured from the center of the bit, so bit radius gives an additional area around that gets also flattened.

1 Like

If your workpiece zero in your 3D model is at the center, then you have to set zero at the center of the machine, which means, you got to drive the carriage with the milling motor so that the bit is there over the absolute center position of the workarea, and then press “zero”. The workpiece zero in the 3D model and the position on which you press “zero” on an axis have to reference the same position in 3D space.

If you center at the center, of course you got to be sure you’re really at the center.

By the way, do you know this video? There they show it with the zero at the center, and how they find the center point.

1 Like

So is there a way to make the file work with a small modification? I can redo the size and return to lower left corner. I don’t understand why it doesn’t work. The same file worked on my woodworker.

Hey Tom,

I think the file is okay, you got to find the correct starting point and press zero there. Until the limit error will disappear. Like in the video!

1 Like

So I should move the x/y in and back slightly and run from there?