Spoilboard flattening (solved)

Hey Tom,

yes, followed by pressing the zero icon on X and Y, and then run the program. Since you are at 410.683 mm as absolute X position and offset (as one can see on your photo), this is nearly 2.5 mm off the center of the Woodworker machine (which is at 408 mm).

But watch the video!

What you also could do is the following:

1. Home the machine,
  2. then probe Z to machine bed.
  3. Then go to the g-code command entry field of the MDI Tab (in the Tabbed Section), and enter:
G21
G0 X408 Y408
G20

With this command, the machine immediately drives the carriage to the center of the Woodworker machine then.

Then you would enter

G92 X0 Y0

which sets the workpiece zero there, or you press the zero icon on X and Y axis manually then.

2 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate all the advice. Iā€™ll watch the video shortly. Need to get the kids ready for bed.

Tom

Hey Tom,

that meets well, because someone has already come in three times to tell me to please stop saving the world so we can eat :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

If I do go back to lower left then move in say 1/2ā€ in both x and y then zero both and zero x it should run. (Yes Iā€™ll watch the video). Still not sure why it worked previously on my X50. Same file, same process and waste board size.

Hey Tom,

there is nothing wrong with either method, left corner or center, you just got to make sure that you position the carriage exactly at the point where in your 3D model the workpiece zero point is, and then press zero (or type G92 X0 Y0)

I think when you tried from center, you just were not exactly at the center. The value shown on the screen above (410.683 mm) suggests that, since the center is at 408 mm so when starting from 410.683 you get a limit error because a spoilboard flattening file is the as big as the workarea so being off by one millimeter is already enough to make the file be out of the workarea (and thus trigger the limit warning).

1 Like

I think Iā€™ll go back to lower left and I wonā€™t use the probe. Just in and back a little then zero everything and run it.

Iā€™ll let you know how I make out. Thanks again.

Tom

Hi Tom, could it be this is a file for a Journeyman size? The 1193mm is pretty close this the Journeyman size and the error is on the x axis only.

Pierre - I checked that. The file is from Ben Myers for the X50 woodworker 32 x 32. Not sure whatā€™s happening here. Below are the steps I took:

1. Homed machine
  2. Inserted Vbit and marked furthest limits for each corner of the tabletop.
  3. Connected the dots and then cut my spoilboard to fit exactly in this space.
  4. Opened the file in Easel and entered the dimensions of the spoilboard - 32.125 x 32.125
  5. Entered my flattening bit size = 1 inch
  6. Set feeds and speeds information and DOC = 0.020
  7. Inserted surfacing bit and returned to x/y zero position (lower left corner)
  8. Zeroed Z
  9. Pushed play and got the error message

I understand that since I used the Vbit to establish the outer limits of the work area and now have a 1" bit installed, the cutter would extend over the edge of the spoilboard. If that is the problem then I should be able to bring it to x/y zero then reposition 1/2" back and to the right to accommodate the difference in bit diameter.

So, what is wrong with this picture? Is my logic flawed? If so, what can I do short of etch-a-sketch mode?

Tom

Hi Tom, Can you post the gcode that you are trying to run? Someting that I noticed is the 1193 x position plus the 30mm move is 1223mm. The x axis on my journeyman is 1220mm. If you canā€™t post the gcode is there a line in the code whit an x value greater than the 816 soft limit. The error seems to indicate there is a x1193 command.

1 Like

The CNC is at my sonā€™s house. Iā€™ll be there this afternoon and will send it over then.

1 Like

Flattening File - Raster.nc (4.4 KB)

I forgot I had it on a thumb drive. Here it is.

Tom

Pierre - hereā€™s the gcode from the flattening file.

Tom
Flattening File - Raster.nc (4.4 KB)

Hereā€™s a snapshot of the file in Easel. You can see the dimensions of the spoilboard.

Tom
Spoilboard 32x32

1 Like

Hi Tom, I donā€™t see anything wrong with the x values in the Gcode. It looks like the program moves to x30.7y1.39. The screen shot you sent shows your origin is the lower left of the material so this first move would be 30" to the right and 1" up from the bottom. Based on this you should home the machine and lower the z to the surface of the spoilboard and zero the z on the lower left of the material.

Hey Tom,

thanks for uploading the file. It is not larger than the Woodworker workarea and produces no limit error. So you got to check that you zero x and y axes at machine coordinates x=0,y=0. This can be done by pressing the little house button on X and Y axes.

1. The error photo you posted above does not show the situation that you should have. Can you post a photo of the error that appears now?

2. Can you also please post a photo of control page with axes positions, absolute, and offsets, after homing and zeroing/probing.

2 Likes

Sorry Tom I should have read you previous post. Looks like thatā€™s what youā€™re doing already.

Hi Tom, That Easel screenshot looks like the origin is actually .5 to the right and .5 up from zero. Try changing it to 0,0.

William - I redid it to move inward if the actual size was the root of the problem. My rationale was that the flattening bit is 1/2" greater in diameter than the vbit used for establishing the machine boundaries. Just trying everything I could think of to solve this problem. The interesting thing is that this file worked on my X50 4 months ago without error. My sonā€™s new X50 is the problem. Iā€™m trying to sort this out and someone suggested that it may be firmware 1.2.1 which came pre-installed on his new cnc.

I wonā€™t be back there until late afternoon, so Iā€™ll recheck everything again.

Tom

I will send the details over later this afternoon when I go back there to check it out.

Thanks,

Tom

1 Like

Hey Tom,

You donā€™t need to take this into account. You can use the maximum workarea, since there is some reserve around the boundaries, which you can also flatten with the larger radius of the flattening bit (see also: ā†’ Cutting area location :pushpin:).

But anyway, your file, which flattens a slightly smaller area than the workarea, is fine and does not produce an error when I try to reproduce your issue. The error must be in your homing and zeroing procedure.

1 Like