Secure from above vs secure from below

I am currently building a cabinet for my 1f due in July. I am just ready to start building a torsion box top. I designed a through hole vertical mounting system that will allow for vertical positioning of a board for making perfect dovetails. My dimensions rely on removing the right hand waste board to pass through the vertical board. I ordered the secure from above frame setup for the woodworker 1f. I need to know the spacing of the waste boards from right to left in reference from the right front mount. Hope you can help I was just ready to begin construction of the torsion box.

With the Mount from above 1f frame for the WW 1f unit as depicted in the photos and video. Can the entire surface of the spoil board be surfaced using a 3/4 in surfacing bit or will there be an offset on all sides.

@OnefinityCNC - Any chance there is a drawing/template with dimensions for the QCW secure from above now that you have moved to production? Specifically, looking for the spacing between the wasteboard support rails and the hole spacing along the rails. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Installed secure from above this weekend. If you can do screw from below do it as it took a little effort to line it all up perfect. Also to layout and cut so boards where not longer or wider then cutting area of the machine.
Looking to have another spoilboard layer so don’t have to re-do first layer again.

2 Likes

Still no layout file available from what I have read here. Why not?
Seems to me it should be available for download by now so people
can get to work on it before the frame arrives.

Anyone who has the secure from above version care to comment?

Or are you all sworn to secrecy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Bob,

2 Likes

I also am on the fence of which to order. One thing that I thought of on from beneath was, you know when you send a screw through mdf how it swells a little? Would that not mess up the entire flatness requiring leveling pass every new WB install?

Won’t installing new WB require that anyway.

1 Like

I would like to think it it was from above and you programed for exact hole location, depth etc and the engineering that went into Qcw tops, there shouldn’t be any initial resurface on from above option. Plus if you have it programed, I think my 1st project would be about a years worth of pre-machined WB pieces just stacked waiting and ready.

4 Likes

Except MDF isn’t exactly shelf-stable. It changes dimensions based on environmental conditions (primarily humidity). Whether you have a QCW or not, you should plan on doing a flattening operation whenever you change out your spoil board.

2 Likes

Pre-drill the holes for securing the MDF and it shouldn’t swell as much, (if any).

1 Like

You’re assuming that the replacement waste board is the exact same thickness as the previous board. Might be close but it could vary by a few thou.

Yes, why not have in addition to the PDF template the g-code to cut new wasteboard sections in every size (Journeyman, Woodworker, and Machinist) available for download.

Why do all this manual layout and drilling, which is simple as can be but time consuming, when you have the CNC sitting there laughing at you for not putting it to work.

Is this not the drudgery that having a CNC is intended to remove us from?

Or does that file exist somewhere that I am not aware of.

3 Likes

So I just leveled my waste board on the secure from above QCW frame (Journeyman). Some notes:

• Remember it is a waste board not a final product
  • It was a bit tedious, but a one time event … I plan to let the machine cut out future panels
  • because of the Journeyman’s weight DEFINETLY want the secure from above
  • It is “flat” to about 0.005" after taking 2 passes removing 0.005" each pass
  • About 0.2" from the surface to the top of the fist screw (usable limit ?)
  • yup Rockler T track is too big
2 Likes

Are the mounting screws supplied or did you use your own.

In either case what is the height of the screw head? A lower
profile head might be available which might ease some of
the anxiety you currently have over the 0.2" clearance.

The mounting screws are supplied. I am not worried at all about the .2" . I just replaced the spoilboard on my Woodworker (upgraded to Journeyman) that I used for ~10 months and if it was .15 deep I would be surprised. Frankly if I cut that deep, the worst that should happen is a broken bit, and me cussing it was my own da$% fault.

2 Likes

Hey folks, I am new to the forum. I just finished putting together my journeyman with the “secure from above” QCW frame. For the “secure from above” folks, how did you anchor the frame to the table?. I did not notice any mounting holes or hardware. I was thinking of screwing small hardwood blocks into the table on the corners to keep it from sliding around. Any other ideas out there?

1 Like

I think they sell feet to go with the frame.

Earlier someone sent info that the feet thread into cylinders that go into the tubes of the frame. You could also use L brackets through the side holes.

Not sure how “from above” or not relates to mounting to a table except that the “from below” folks will need an easy way to lift it up.

1 Like

You do not. It sits on the table with gravity, just like an xcarve or shapeoko.

1 Like