Setting up shop environment for Laser

Hi:

I have a few questions for people who already have lasers. First is about smoke exhaust. I’m considering simply swapping out the dustbag on my Rikon portable dust collector for a 5" hose to blow out any smoke. That way I don’t need an inline fan/hose setup, and I reuse the existing dust boot to dust collector setup. Based on your experience do you think that will work?

Next question is eye protection. I have glasses, and a camera. I’m more concerned about unintentional exposure of a passerby through the window. Do people install shades or some sort of window coverings?

Thanks

Will this be setup inside your house, or more correctly in the conditioned space of your home?
If yes AND you live someplace where right now it is cold then your DC will be sucking all the heated air out of your house. The DC will be creating a slightly negative pressure in the house and this will increase infiltration of outside air which will in turn increase your heating costs and in the Summer the same thing will occur but for your AC.

Hi: Thanks for the reply. I am running it outside in my workshop which is basically unconditioned space (cold and hot depending on the weather, but fully enclosed and protected from the elements). If I ran it inside it would probably suck all the warm air out of the house like you said. I try to do all of the smelly stuff outside.

1 Like

There’s a lot of smoke, indeed. The 1F is close to a window which I always open when using the laser. I will move next year and plan better smoke extraction (independent from the rest of the house) then.
There’s no risk of passer by so I only use a sign on the door to warn the family.