Spindle power for cutting guitar bodies

Thanks very much, I really need some good suppliers.

TonyA

Thank you. Yes, I was very inspired by Futureman’s instrument when I first saw it over 20 year ago. I wonder if he still uses it.

1 Like

Darren,

I appreciate that info. Can I ask you where I can go to order what you described, having it pre-programmed would be a great time saver, even if I have to edit some of the programming.

Thanks,
TonyA

I use the Onefinity to cut bass and guitar bodies and necks. I’ve never run into an issue with chatter and I’m using a router. Here’s the latest 2 I finished in March

3 Likes

Superb. Can you tell me what speed and feed values you use for routing the profiles?

(If you’ve already mentioned the speeds & feeds somewhere in the discussion, I’ll go and search).

Tony

Hey Brandin,

the finish of the upper bass is amazing. Is that made with a marbling technique?

This is a hybrid top

I’ll have to look up speeds and feeds.

Ok, thanks very much.

Here are some of the pickups that I’ve made, cutting the flanges for the bobbins on the router. (Made with pickguard material, and one with bridseye maple, stained with green food coloring…)

2 Likes

Great stuff here! We need to have a 1F guitar group.

@TonyA Are you paint your instrument or finish it? (Or cover it in weird stuff like Futureman?). That’s a nice piece of clear pine but I was thinking how gorgeous it wold be with some other hardwood. Like a flame maple top over some figured mahogany (ala Les Pauls or PRSs) or some Zebrawood, etc. I know that you don’t need “Tonewood” in the same way a guitar wood but it would still be cool. Nice work, looking forward to seeing it done.

I love the wooden pieces for pickups and control plates, too. Very cool.

Jim,

Thanks very much. I think eventually I will try some hardwoods. That wood in the photo was from Home Depot, (which over here where I live is a chaotic mess, they don’t keep up with stock, or even shelve things in the correct place).

So, I had to buy a 6’ x 12" x 0.75", cut in half and glue the pieces on top of each other. Now, Thanks to info from this discussion, I can skip that annoying step and get wood from Steve Wall Lumber Co.

I’m going to do some staining and then Tung Oil finish.
Thank you for the encouraging words. I’ll keep the forum posted.

2 Likes

We do need a guitar group. I haven’t forgotten about the S&F.

1 Like

@TonyA What?!?! Home Depot a chaotic mess?? Never. I’m just glad they are staffed with such knowledgable and friendly folks. I have a place nearby called Macbeath Hardwoods. It’s a paradise for wood nerds.

@NDG Brandin, what’s the S&F??