Starting speeds & feeds for spoilboard surfacing

Finally got my machine, table is mostly complete & I’m looking to create g-code to surface the spoilboard when the time comes… but I’m not sure what feeds & speeds to start with.
Using a 1", 3 flute surfacing bit. I plan on taking a very light cut & don’t mind running the code a few times to get everything nice & flat.
Any tips or recommendations to get started?

1 Like

I just finished my first surfacing run with a similar bit. I took .008 at a plunge rate of 50 and speed of 200 and the Makita set on “4”. MDF doesn’t offer much resistance.

2 Likes

John, are your measurements in mm or inches?

My measurements are in inches - inches per minute for those rates.

1 Like

Wow How fast can you push the Onefinity Cnc? Check out this video and you will be amazed at this Cnc running at a whopping 324 ipm. https://youtu.be/lxFHOpeQMv8

Yes you read it correctly, I had my Makita set at 4. Feed rate is 324 ipm, feed per tooth is 0.006 my plunge/ramp was 25 ipm and I used the cheap 1" 3 flute surfacing bit from amazon.
took only 12 minutes to run 4 passes of 0.03125" deep for a total of .125" depth. I did this to resurface my wasteboard but to also add a 90 x/y edge to square up my material. Also it was only a 30 x 24 wasteboard. Check it out if you wanna see it fly.

3 Likes