Surfacing error

Hi,

Newbie here. Doing my first attemp of a spoilboard surface. During my first pass of the outside it goes half way then stop with x motor alarm. Not sure why. Doesnt look like anything getting in the way. I restart it 3 times and still stops in the same place. Running at 130 ipm at 4 on my makita with a 1" - 3 wing bit. I probed xyz at the front left. However, i didnt zero it out before starting at home. Is that the issue perhaps? Maybe its seeing that corner outside the cut area?

Any suggestions?

Andrew, it appears your trying to mill outside the limits of the machine. It is showing 49+ inches of travel, which it cannot do. You should know that the machine position is the absolute center of the motors shaft, and it cannot go to 49 inches.
Once you have homed, just tap the X and Y on the DROs to zero them at the front left corner, and you need to set your CAD/CAM software to mill a total of 48 inches max. The pictures show an overall of 49 inches in each direction, which is impossible.
Your 1 inch bit will reach beyond the 48 inches by 1/2 the diameter or 1/2 inch more than you set it to.

1 Like

Good morning. Youre machine looks brand new, so I’m guess you’re really a newbie. That’s cool…welcome to the cult…err, club.

Anyway, you are trying to move the machine outside its limits. I’m guessing that’s because you’re using a spoilboard exactly the posted cut limits of the machine. Try cutting the spoilboard down an inch or so and redoing the gcode file.

A slightly smaller spilboard than the cut size prevents the buildup of an edge on the spoilboard that can get in the way if you want to cut a workpiece bigger than the machine size.

The motor is hitting the end of a rail.
Go to F1 and check and eventually adjust the limits of the the X and y motor movements.