Swelling issues, Table

Hey Sterling,

yes, CETA is only between EU and Canada. Thailand is in ASEAN and in ACFTA so maybe buying a chinese CNC machine could be less expensive :slight_smile: But see also Canada-Thailand relations.

Don’t you have a customs authority with a web page? We have such a web page here on the web site of the EU commission (=the executive) which shows the import duty according to TARIC code. It showed 0% import duty when importing from Canada when I entered the number closest to the HS Code 8458190090 given by Onefinity under FAQ → Shipping.

But what is expensive is that Onefinity chooses DHL Express. This means it comes with air freight, it’s very quick but expensive. There exist other shipping methods over the sea, which take much longer (weeks) but should be much less expensive. I would ask Onefinity if they are willing to look into alternative shipping methods for people that are patient enough.

The Any Surface Leveling System matches the QCW Frame, but it consists just of four circular feet with a screw sticking out of them, and four inserts matching the inside the four QCW Frame tube ends, and that have matching threads (to be seen here).

You can buy height-adjustable feet, or if your table twists with the floor, height-adjustable casters everywhere for little money. This allows you twist adjustment as easily.

Having no twist in a machine with four feet means be able to adjust one foot in height. Since three points are always in one plane, it’s only one of four feet that needs to have its height adjusted to ensure coplanarity (and you machine the worksurface then). What expensive machines in the industry have is that their X and Y axes ends are adjustable in height and horizontally. This way you can adjust coplanarity (removing twist) and rectangularity (“squaring”).

QCW Frame and Any Surface Leveling System make the Onefinity a machine working out of the box, if you have no time it’s okay, but it’s rather expensive. Many people here have shown if you have some time you can build a good table from materials available. See Jim’s (@JimHatch) Fisher-style table, linked among other good concepts in this previous post. Could be a solution if you want to store the machine vertically.

That could be relevant. I found a little info in Klima in Thailand and Climate in Thailand, they say you have 8–11 humid monthes in the south and 4–5 humid monthes in the north, but not how much exactly air humidity changes.

The monsoon winds have different regional effects: The winter northeast monsoon brings continental air and causes dryness in northern Thailand, while air over the Gulf of Thailand accumulates moisture and causes rain in southern Thailand. The summer southwest monsoon generally brings moist air masses and causes rainfall throughout the country. The south thus experiences 8 to 11 humid months per year, while the northeast experiences only four and a half to five and a half humid months.

As I work with wood and store wood and other sensitive things, I have a hygrometer in every room. I can recommend this to everyone who stores wood or things made of wood.

A good hygrometer is relatively expensive, but I don’t know if you do electronics/microcontrollers, but if so, the HIH 5031 has an accuracy of ±3% and costs about €15 here, and with an SD card on your µC, you could log humidity on it over the year.

1 Like