Tappered ball nose bit probing

So ive got a job that jas 3 tool changes, first is 1/4 upcut second is 1/4 shank 1/8 downcut and third is a 1/4 shank Tapered Ball Nose 1/16 tip. My question is first probe i do normal xyz probe, second is still xyz probe or just Z, but on tapered do i just prob z and leave everything the same?

Pics of bits

Since you already probed XYZ with the 1/4 shank, when you get to the ballnose, you just probe Z and it maintains the X and Y with the 1/4 shank

2 Likes

Ok i pretty much thought that was correct but I wanted to make sure that i was doing it correctly before starting a big project. Thank you very much for your reply!

1 Like

Same as the v-bit probing: How to Probe a V-Bit on the Onefinity CNC - YouTube

1 Like

Sorry just reading this again. Since you move to a 1/8, you should probe XYZ to get the 1/8 set, then you move to the ball nose where I would probe XYZ with a 1/4 straight bit then probe Z for the ball nose

1 Like

Once you have set the XY with the first bit, there is no need to re-probe X and Y as it will remain the same even with different shank diameter. The zero location is at the center of the bit. Just probe Z with each bit change.

7 Likes