Upgrade from 7W to 14W Dual Pro JTech laser?

I am wondering if this upgrade would yield enough difference to justify the expense and effort?

If there are folks here who have done it, I would appreciate your feedback and opinion on the swap.

I have a 7W JTech and have considered adding a standalone CO2 laser to my shop. Having a Onefinity with a laser for engraving somewhat negates the need for a CO2 stand alone. So I am wondering if the 14W Dual Pro upgrade on the OF and a new Fiber laser would be a better approach. I would really like the ability to etch/mark metals and the like and that is the incentive for the Fiber laser.

I would go that route. I have a CO2 laser and the 1F. I just did a cutting board project for my son and wanted to engrave the pattern (a Millennium Falcon) on the board. I wanted the darker burn that a laser provides vs the board color a v-bit engrave would give (& the improved resolution the laser provides) so I used both machines. The 1F cut the board into the shape of the Falcon and then I put it into the laser to engrave the details.

I was thinking I could have done it all in the 1F if I had the laser attachment and am considering getting it. Since it’s mounted to the 1F head it would allow engraving the pieces I can do on the Journeyman that won’t fit in the laser.

Since a CO2 laser’s only real advantage over the diode laser (besides allowing you to have two machines running at once) is the ability to cut 1/4" material, but the 1F does that.

But none of them let you do the kind of fine engraving on metals that a fiber laser can. A 1F with the 14W diode laser attachment and a fiber will be far more useful than just getting a standalone CO2 laser.

1 Like

@JimHatch
Jim, thanks for the feedback.

I have had lots of spare time on my hands recovering from a minor medical procedure and have dug as deep as I could on this topic. I have decided to go with the 14W JTech.

I really like JTech as a company and since Onefinity supports it, it was an easy decision for me to stick with JTech. Naturally the cost is a bitter pill to swallow.

I am now looking forward to receiving the JTech package ordered today from OF. I am assuming it should be quite fast to get it up and running. I ordered the air assist from JTech today as well.

I am now studying Galvo Fiber MOPA lasers and will likely order one in the not so distant future.

5 Likes