Upgrading stepper motor for 80mm Spindle

I bought, what I thought, was a good quality hex wrench for the job - cover the bases. I didnt think iof heating (the video made it look no more difficult than the other hex screws). I think I will have to ask @OnefinityCNC if a can get a replacement z slider.

I’m off to weep in my beer (got to buy it first though)

Hey Andy,
this looks like Superglue. It would be nice if Onefinity told us what it exactly is. Not a word about this in the video.

2 Likes

@Aiph5u and @Dr-Al - thank you for your prompt responses, appreciated.

I would try it in any case, I would would not be surprised if they helped you immediately

empathy emoji Andy
But thing-breakers are the adventurers today

1 Like

PS: If it’s really Superglue (cyanoacrylate), a syringe with acetone would have been the solution.

1 Like

I have an upgraded x50 woodworker, 80mm 2.2kw spindle, and very happy with the combination. I did not change any of the stepper motors - everything seems to work great.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be too upset about the threads. A trip to the hardware store and you can get a new set screw and tap of a slightly larger size. Larger size means larger allen wrench which is less likely to strip.

2 Likes

Andy, Before you give up hope, get new set screws and try. Given what I am seeing in your pic, the threads in the set screw seem fine so you may be able to just replace them. Also, as someone else suggested, if the original size set screws don’t work, get a tap and one size larger and just retap the holes to the larger size

1 Like

Hi, I’m going for the re-tap. I’ve ordered some hex screws. Fingers-crossed. Alternative is to ask 1F if they can supply me a replacement part.

Just didn’t feel right to drill out glued in screws to perform an OEM purchased upgrade.

I assume 1F has had to glue the screw in because it’s role is to push the z rods against the z slider creating a friction fit. I can see how this can shake loose with the vibrations during machining. I think it needs to screw into a threaded hole in the rod. I, therefore, believe I will also have to glue my hex screw into place.

@OnefinityCNC if I do manage to re-tap a larger size or failing that if you are able to provide me a replacement z slider component will I have to glue the screws into place?

Hey Andy,

I agree with the others that from a technical point of view, your Z Slider isn’t lost. But if I were you I would first send an E-mail to support@onefinitycnc.com and write them something like:

• Why do your instructions in the video “Support: Swapping the Spindle Mount on the Onefinity CNC” are missing to note that some screw lock is present and how it can be solved?
  • I followed your instructions for replacing the spindle mount, but while I followed them exactly, damage occured. Please would you replace the damaged part?

Glueing screws is one possibility to lock a screw. Usually, a Thread Locking Fluid like Loctite is a common method (yet we do not know what it was that held the screw in place, but to me on your picture it looks rather like Superglue than Loctite).

But a method to lock a screw that I technically prefer much is a Lock Screw, i.e. a second screw that is screwed against the first.

Now that’s a smart idea. I think I’ve trashed the first half of the threads going in. So I’ll ponder whether to re-tap all through or just the first half.

Thank you.

EDIT:
(I’ve emailed 1F support)
(I’m looking forward to sharing my air-cooled 80mm 2.2kw UK purchased spindle experience - fingers crossed)

Hey all,
does one of you remember that before this video was there, there was another video covering the same topic, but it was of less quality. It seemed to be made with a smartphone held by hand. You could hear the noise of assembling and testing cncs in the background (stepper noises), and the person that exchanged the spindle mount had a slight accent when speaking english. I also remember that he used a hammer to tap the bottom plate off the rails. Has anyone seen it?

Hi - this isn’t possible (as I found out) as the two plates use the same hole for 2 of the 8 threaded holes therefore there is not sufficient space. I re-threaded the hole only to realise this (duh! moment) - for me the M4 8mm screws no longer fit and I don’t have a M6 (the re-tapped hole size) 8mm screw as a replacement. I’m hoping Onefinity can supply me a replacement z-slider.

1 Like

Michael, how much is the distance between your 80 mm spindle and the stepper?

The 80mm mount moves the spindle out a bit so that it can be raised up higher than the stepper. The clearance on the front is quite small - about .1", but I can’t measure it precisely.

3 Likes

It’s not a “closed loop”, so you may miss steps which would effect detail/accuracy.

Hey Patrice,
How did you remove the stripped screws(I know you said drilled). I have a similar situation where a ‘tear drop’ hex wrench snapped in the screw leaving it plugged. Even though the hex snapped, the metal is very hard making drilling a challenge.

Carmen,
I am having the same issue, must be I over tightened when I first set it up.

Used a drill slightly smaller than the set screw. Drilled hole through and once it got through I was able to use a screw extractor and/or slightly larger screwdriver to spin the remaining pieces of the set screw out.

1 Like

Hey Mike,

if you really loose detail after having switched from the trim router to a spindle (which mostly have less than 5 µm runout and are able to hold their speed strictly, regardless of load (what a trim router is not able to), after thinking about it for a while, I came to the thought, is it possible that you made a mistake when mounting the collet?

ER collets are not mounted the way a trim router collet is mounted. Most people put the collet into the axle of the spindle and then they put the collet nut over it. That is definetely wrong! An ER collet has a groove that goes all the way around near the top of the collet. The corresponding collet nut of an ER collet has an excentric extractor ring or offset lip inside. It is absolutely mandatory to fully engage (clip in) the collet inside the nut before you tighten it onto the holder, as shown at this moment of the video “ER Collets | 5 Things to Know for Beginners”. See also this picture from my spindle manual:

– Source: Mechatron HFS Spindle User’s Manual

ER_collet__Excentric_Extractor_Ring_-Offset_Lip-_SS_Workshop
ER Collets | 5 Things to Know for Beginners - Youtube

ER_collet_Excentric_Extractor_Ring_-Offset_Lip-_Haas_Automation
ER Collet Essentials. Do You Know? – Haas Automation Tip of the Day - Youtube

5 Likes