Upgrading stepper motor for 80mm Spindle

Carmen,
I am having the same issue, must be I over tightened when I first set it up.

Used a drill slightly smaller than the set screw. Drilled hole through and once it got through I was able to use a screw extractor and/or slightly larger screwdriver to spin the remaining pieces of the set screw out.

1 Like

Hey Mike,

if you really loose detail after having switched from the trim router to a spindle (which mostly have less than 5 µm runout and are able to hold their speed strictly, regardless of load (what a trim router is not able to), after thinking about it for a while, I came to the thought, is it possible that you made a mistake when mounting the collet?

ER collets are not mounted the way a trim router collet is mounted. Most people put the collet into the axle of the spindle and then they put the collet nut over it. That is definetely wrong! An ER collet has a groove that goes all the way around near the top of the collet. The corresponding collet nut of an ER collet has an excentric extractor ring or offset lip inside. It is absolutely mandatory to fully engage (clip in) the collet inside the nut before you tighten it onto the holder, as shown at this moment of the video “ER Collets | 5 Things to Know for Beginners”. See also this picture from my spindle manual:

– Source: Mechatron HFS Spindle User’s Manual

ER_collet__Excentric_Extractor_Ring_-Offset_Lip-_SS_Workshop
ER Collets | 5 Things to Know for Beginners - Youtube

ER_collet_Excentric_Extractor_Ring_-Offset_Lip-_Haas_Automation
ER Collet Essentials. Do You Know? – Haas Automation Tip of the Day - Youtube

5 Likes

Great advice on mounting ER collets. This is something that can be easily missed and cause a mess.

If you make this mistake on a metal working machine (metal lathe or mill), you will find out pretty quick that you’ve made a mess. Ask me how I know!

2 Likes

I had found this video interesting wrt tool holders, collets, and collet nuts…
Haas Automation Tip of the Day
They have great information in general on a variety of topics, metal focused, however often applicable.

2 Likes

In a geeky sort of way quite fascinating (although I’ll never admit that to the family)

1 Like

Just converted to the 80mm base. The two set screws came right out. Received my JW50 in early December 2021

1 Like

I think also here that Bosch Rexroth is highly configurable and will give you a great deal. You may check these Bosch Rexroth In-Stock Now from servosupplier.