Using OF on Brass

Does anyone have experience using OneFinity with the standard Makita router on brass? I want to use it to create countersunk holes in 4mm thick brass. If so, What bits, feeds, step downs and speeds did you use.
Thanks

I’m on a similar journey (still very new). There are some ‘lessons’ I think I’ve learned, but if others know I’m wrong, I’m hoping they’ll correct me!:

• Some rules for thick brass (rods, ingots, etc) have limited application to people cutting brass sheet
    – Slow RPM reduces heat that can melt a piece you intend to cut. That can harm your bit and ruin your cut.
  • Brass alloys differ in their machine characteristics. If you want to bend metal, you need different features than if you want to cut it. The alloy with the best reputation for machining is 360. In sheet goods, the best I can find is “260 half-hard”
  • In brass sheet (where heat builds up less) fast speeds (RPM) and low feeds (IPM) are the order. Also plan on very small depths for each cut. I’m now using 16k for RPM and 5-10 IPM. My pass depths are 0.005 to 0.008.
  • Diamond Drag bits perform well if you want an easily visible image with very little depth.
  • The Amana single flute carbide cutters won’t work. A $300 experiment that failed.
4 Likes

David,
Thanks so much for sharing this detailed information.
-p