Carbide Compact Router

I am wondering what do you think about Carbide Compact Router
(Carbide Compact Router – Carbide 3D)
It is on sale right now and I am wondering if I should pick up one or get a Makita router instead?

Did any one try it in OneFinity machine?

Hi,

I have the Carbide compact router in my 1F machine.
I have not had any issues with the router what so ever.

1 Like

Thanks. Good to know.
Looking at it is specs, its speeds are (12K - 30K) vs Makita (10k-30K) Should that be a concern?

It won’t be an issue - most small diameter router bits will perform best around 18,000 RPM. Larger bits which would run at a slower RPM will have a 1/2" shank on them which won’t fit in either router.

Take a look at this pdf, it has some information about RPM, speeds, and feeds specific to the Amana bits but can be a good starting point for other bits of similar size.

I would go with the Makita. Surfacing bits should run as slow as possible.

1 Like

Ultimately you want your chip load to be near the manufacturer recommendations for the bit. For my surfacing bit (3 flute 1" diameter) it recommends 18,000 RPM at 110 in/min feed rate for a .002" chip load per cutter tooth. If I reduce the RPM to 10,000 at the same feed rate the chip load increases to .0036" which is nearly double the chip load. In that case I would reduce my feed rate to 60 in/min to maintain the .002" chip load.

Fusion 360 will calculate the chip load (feed per tooth) for you, I haven’t used other software yet but I would imagine they have something similar - or there are calculators on the web.

10,000 RPM:

18,000 RPM:

2 Likes