Vertical mounted with no Dust collection?

Still havent received my machine, but constantly thinking about it.

My x50 journeyman will be wall mounted. So I’ve been trying to figure out DC. How much throw of the dust will there be? Could I build a trough underneath and collect the majority that way? I was thinking of leaving the boot on without the dc hooked up and letting it block the throw of dust and let it drop. Im not sure how this would work but feel it may not be too bad. and the dc may not be too great on the wall. any thoughts?

Best thing to do is to try different ways and see what works best for you. Personally, I prefer to suck it all up with my shop vac after a carve so I don’t have to deal with a dust boot. It is also less noise and less electricity not running the DC constantly.

2 Likes

I will also be doing the wallmount. I am also building a cabinet for it to be mounted inside of. I plan to use dust collection, just to try to capture as much as possible and keep it from being airborne. Ideally, from what the pros say, we should be running fast enough to create chips and not dust. But, I like things clean, and have a nice 1hp DC that doesn’t burn a ton of power and is very quiet.

I don’t think there’s a ton of dust from it but what does come off, even the chips, are small so while most will fall straight down I think you’ll find that dust will still be created and will fill your shop. Since wood dust is bad for humans I would try to find some way of capturing it.

3 Likes

Hi George - My CNC is in my home office, so I always use dust collection. The one time recently I didn’t, I spent the next week finding chips everywhere. In fact, I’m still finding them.

I guess it really depends on what you are cutting. Most hardwoods with 2.5d milling will generate chips that should simply fall to the ground. If you are doing a lot of vcarving (3d milling), there will likely be smaller chips or even fine dust to contend with. In that case, you probably want some sort of dust extraction or wear a respirator at all times. If you are cutting acrylic or epoxy, they tend to generate some static and stick to everything - so I would definitely recommend some sort of dust removal.

Hope this helps

-Tom

Thanks for the replies. I’m sorry it took so long to reply I didn’t receive email alerts. I’m getting close just have to figure out how ro hang dust hose.

2 Likes

Mounting on a wall sure does save space, but it looks like it adds some challenges. For dust collection maybe you trough idea under the machine would work along with a curtain in front that you could easily open/close and would push completely out of the way when setting up your work.

I’m guessing that table below is on wheels and can be rolled out of the way as needed.

Speaking of that I am just guessing based on looking at your setup but if you want to cut a large (near capacity) workpiece of say 3/4 MDF or ply it seems like it will be difficult to hold the piece in place while you secure it to the wasteboard. And it better be darn tight too because the clamps are working against gravity as well as holding the work still for routing.

Your wasteboard does not appear to have any dog holes in it. They might be a big help at least along the bottom as they could take all the weight and the clamps take care of holding position and resisting the force of the spindle. Looks like you have a spindle so maybe you plan on pushing some bigger bits.

I know you can screw something down but for repeat cuts of multiple identical items that would be a pain I think.

Bob The plan was to run some dogholes in the lowest large piece of MDF for dogholes. The machine is not parallel to the wall the bottom is kicked out a little. So between the dogs and that kick Im hoping clamping wont be too bad.

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan. Look forward to seeing it in action.
I could not see that it is angled out from the photos.

Bob_D it is minimal, 4-5"