Clamping & dust collection on wallmounted infinity CNC

Hey all - still kind of new to this but I have a wall mounted Onefinity X50 and I was curious if anyone has a good low profile clamping that doesn’t get in the way of the dust boot?

I’ve mostly been cutting it plywood and I’ve tried to maximize the material which often results in the clamps interfering with the dust boot. Also would be open to an alternative method for dust collection than the suck-it.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

B

Hey Borys,

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @AbnormalProjects :wave:t3:

I agree with @Aiph5u - a vacuum table is a great solution for a wall mounted set-up. If you have a 3D printer and a small vacuum pump, you can make little pods that hold your material pretty rigidly. That is an inexpensive solution and good for getting a taste for how nice vacuum workholding really is.

That said, I have been working on a project to bring vacuum tables to this community of Onefinity users (since I am one myself). We just launched and I think our complete kit would work well for your application, especially for maximizing yield when cutting sheets of plywood. We will soon be offering a free 3D printable vacuum chuck, like the ones mentioned above, on our website to support people who are looking to experiment with this workholding approach.

I also saw a cool video on instagram of a hydraulic cylinder that pushes laterally to clamp stock on a wall mounted X50. That is another neat approach that may also work for your set-up. However, lateral clamps like that can distort stock and subsequent cut parts if sufficient structure isn’t left after the cuts (like tabs and/or a boarder).

I really respect the ethos of this community (among many things I respect about it) and would not be mentioning this here unless I genuinely felt I had a solution to offer. If this is too forward and promotional in nature, please feel free to flag this post and/or remove it.

Here’s another thread to check out if you’re interested: Vacuum Hold Down

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks!

These vacuum systems are very cool! An OTS solution is a bit out of budget at the moment but I do have a few 3D printers so i might try to design and print some vacuum modules and bury them into the spoilboard.

Also going to try to modify the OOPS clamps by swapping the thumbscrews + dialling in the screw length to make them a bit more lo-profile also getting a longer moustache on the dustboot.

Thanks again for the great ideas!

b

1 Like

Another option is to not use a dust boot, and put your dust collection on the wall beneath your unit. Make yourself an angled shelf/tray and connect the vacuum hose to that.

While it may be a little more work to setup initially, you’ll never have to fuss with hoses and deal with boots when changing tools. You can also add sides to help with the downdraft.

Then you can use whatever clamps you like (or screws, glue/tape, brad nails etc.)

1 Like

Hey Paul,

have you tested something like this? Usually there is a lot of dust that is not catched if the extraction does not happen directly where it is created.

And wood dust is dangerous, it is cancerogenic.

Yes, I have it working in my shop.

I just added clear pvc on a retractable window shade to help with the downdraft and it works beautifully.

1 Like

Hey Paul,

and you have no enclosure around the machine, besides this?

This was during the prototyping stage, but it’s functionally the same. I do plan to make the side wings a little deeper

3 Likes

Hey Paul,

wow, now this is interesting!

Seems to me nearly as good as an enclosure, at least you’re going into this direction.

Thank you for showing this here!

PS: Have you ever thought on mounting it rotated by 90° (X axis horizontally and Y axes vertically) to have no rail in the way of the dust?

1 Like

I thought about it a bit, but since this is the 1F supported orientation, I started this way.

With putting a piece of sheetmetal flashing above that rail, it stays pretty clean.

1 Like

Hey Paul,

How long are you running it this way?

I ask because even in “normal” orientation, the ball screws are not sealed on this machine, and if you are not able to catch all wood dust very effectively, wood dust will accumulate in the ball nuts.

CNC-router-T-Rex-Servo-bellows
Image: Bellows covers on the ball screws on T-Rex CNC Mill

1 Like

The shield keeps the chips off, but yeah, I still do my monthly maintenance and cleaning.

I haven’t seen any giant sawdust boogers like the one you’ve shown. :sweat_smile:

Plan to do more work in the next couple of months, so I’ll see how well the downdraft works overall.

1 Like

Hey Paul,

it’s a matter of cost of course, on a hobbyist machine. The example shows a big professional machine for furniture industry. But you can get bellow covers in all sizes

1 Like

Thanks @Aiph5u for the bellows link. I may get there some day… but after the next item on the wish list is a spindle.

Hey Paul,

I mention these covers because I find them necessary and want to have some. The challenge will not be the bellows themselves, but designing 3D-printed parts at both ends that take nothing away from the travel.

Yes, a spindle is something I would recommend

Hey Paul,

unfortunately you cannot see how this accumulates, as this is hidden inside the carriage. The one Onefinity showed here was only discovered when it began to block the ball screw, so maybe this occured months after the user had started to work with insufficient dust extraction / maintenance.

I bought the machine for a professional purpose so the maintenance that Onefinity expects from the hobbyist users is nothing I want to do. What I will do is try to use a very effective wood dust extraction, but you don’t really know how much the maintenance Onefinity calls the users for really prevents saw dust accumulating inside, or how much the wipers are able to catch the dust before it enters the ball nut / carriage on the ball screw.

I just know (and knew this before), that generally oiled mechanics are incompatible with wood dust (period), so I want them to be enclosed, so I plan to retrofit the bellows somehow. I will of course show it here if I implement a solution.

1 Like

Something that’s worked well for me is a combination of the oops clamps and the Micrjig matchfit system.

I us the NightHawk dust boot which stays fixed with the spindle, this is one example but they make a version for the Makita router too Nighthawk Dust Boot for 80mm Spindle With 2.5 Dust Collection. - Etsy

Onefinity sells a less expensive set of the oops clamps made for c-clamp

and you can get the Matchfit hardware on Amazon

1 Like

Here is what I use for low profile hold-downs.

2 Likes

I’ve just gotten my X50 set up and running on it’s new wall mount. I chose to rotate the layout 90 degrees, knowing that this is not supported by 1F. Honestly though, the amount of dust that doesn’t accumulate on the rails is a tremendous bonus. Here’s how I modified the QCW frame to use the wall mount brackets. Basically, I bored a hole in the end plugs to bolt the hanging sprockets to the X oriented tubes. A shim is needed when reinstalling the end plug to account for play.

About the low profile clamps, here’s my version #2. The original was too tall, and I busted my dust boot , dammit! The step blocks are much stronger than bolts on the clamp bottom. The top bolts are furniture bolts from the hardware store, the T-track nuts are modified from the Oops clamps that I really didn’t like.

3 Likes