What bit to use

Hey Nick,

if you are really brand new, I would first watch all the tutorials on the documentation pages in the www of your favourite CAD/CAM software. The usually available tutorials, often as videos, teach you so it is avoided that every beginner comes here and asks the always same questions.

With Vectric VCarve Pro, you can get a free unlimited time trial version with a few restrictions (one being you cannot export a toolpath). This allows to get to know the software, which is also possible thanks to the extensive video documentation. The product without restrictions is available at a reduced price in the Onefinity Shop. Vectric VCarve Pro is used by many here who are willing to pay money for a CAD/CAM software. Generally I would start early and go through the following very helpful information:

Note that you don’t need to engage the expense of acquiring Vectric Aspire just to be able work on 3D objects. You can do this with the Free and Open 3D software Blender (🢡 Blender homepage).

If you want to work on vector graphics, you can use the Free and Open vector graphics editor Inkscape (🢡 Inkscape homepage).

If you want to learn to create 3D objects, but also if you simply want to export 3D objects as g-code toolpath to execute them on your CNC machine (3D files bought in the www, as well as files you created yourself), without paying money, you could also begin with FreeCAD 🢡 (FreeCAD Homepage).

Generally with FreeCAD, which is completely free and open, you start at FreeCAD Documentation and at → User hub.

There you find everything, e.g.

With FreeCAD, the toolpath is created with the Path Workbench.

Here is this

I think if you are new to designing virtual models in 3D (which you want to export as toolpath and mill on your CNC machine), you should know that when attempting to master a CNC machine, learning to use a CAD/CAM software is what takes the most time. Therefore my opinion is, the sooner you start with working with a CAD/CAM software, the better.

Further reading

1 Like