What features would you like to see in 2024?

Don’t help for what? Against making the GFCI trip? Yes, that’s not the purpose of a EMI filter. As explained above, the domestic GFCIs do not work with VFDs, you need special RCBOs for them – so replacing the GFCI outlet by a normal outlet is the only solution if your GFCI trips and you don’t want to afford such a special RCBO.

But EMI filters help against the EMI that a VFD induces into your circuit as well as EMI that may come from the circuit and are the most recommended accessory for a VFD. I bought my EMI filter as a bundle with the VFD here, so I know that my EMI filter is matching.

But you should find out if it’s really residual current that makes the GFCI trip and not simply the current the VFD draws. As explained above, the input current is omitted on many cheap VFD nameplates and manuals. On my VFD, as shown above, manual and nameplate say 24 A input current and in the manual, a 30 A MCCB or fuse is recommended. So since it is a 230 V VFD for 2.2 kW, on a 110 V VFD for 2.2 kW you would be at 48 A so you have to be sure that your MCCB copes with the input current of your VFD.

2 Likes