What is needed to wire up 2.2kw 220v Spindle and VFD?

Hey Peter,

you should be okay for the wire gauges.

VFD Manuals

I linked you to a Huanyang Manual above.

I cannot refer to information in a VFD manual if it is a VFD manual in which the information is missing. I studied VFD manuals from different manufacturers and I found the reason why many people set the parameters in their Huanyang VFD according to settings lists from youtube videos withouth knowing what they mean and become exasperated with advices that contradict other advices. The reason is that the manuals of cheap VFDs do not explain well how such a complicated thing like a VFD works and what you can do with it and what all these settings really mean.

The Omron MX2 or Hitachi WJ200 meet industry standards and have a very good manual in many languages. I recommend downloading and reading it even if you did not buy these VFDs. By reading the Omron MX2 / Hitachi WJ200 manual you can understand what you can do with the different settings in a VFD, which can really help you to guess what different settings in your chinese manual could mean.

But judge yourself, I suggest to compare the manuals:

Huanyang VFD manual vs. Omron MX2 User’s Manual

I already wrote something more detailed on the topic in my comment here.

Wiring a complete VFD installation

Usually the CNC Controller turns on spindle (M3/M4/M5) and the workpiece coolant (M7/M8/M9) and sets spindle speed (S) or initiates tool changes (M6) etc., but the spindle coolant pump is always controlled by the VFD (because the VFD controls the spindle and knows in which state and speed the spindle is, which the CNC Controller does not know). And switching on dust collection the same way is an obvious option. No spindle running, no dust, so can be switched off at the end of program automatically. By the way, there are settings that are timers inside VFD. Usually you can let the spindle coolant pump on for an amount of time longer after spindle was stopped.

I am writing material for a spindle/VFD FAQ.

Sometimes avoiding to set up a good installation makes the use of the machine more complicated than wiring the necessary things can be.

You do not turn the spindle on with a button while the CNC is running. The spindle is controlled by the CNC Controller. Either you have a g-code program running that controls spindle or you enter the G-code commands in the MDI field.

Further Reading

• You may also be interested in this
2 Likes