What is needed to wire up 2.2kw 220v Spindle and VFD?

Hey Peter,

Here is a Huanyang VFD manual at the buildbotics.com site. Usually you would also need to have a spindle manual or datasheet but I know that many cheap chinese no-name spindles have none. But in order to be able to make the right settings for your spindle in your VFD, you need to know at least these spindle data:

1. Voltage rating (Volts)
  2. Current rating (Ampères)
  3. Number of magnetic poles
  4. Max. Speed (RPM)
  5. Min Speed (RPM)

Usually a spindle datasheet also has the speed/torque and the speed/power diagram, e.g. like shown here and the spindle user’s manual tells you about the run-in procedure, handling and clamping instructions etc.

It’s all written there. The first segment in the table shown above is for single-phase mains electricity VFD models, the second is for three-phase mains (not common in North America) and the third segment is for the 400 V three-phase mains (neither). If your mains wall outlet does neither look like this nor like this then it is unlikely that you have three-phase mains electricity. Usually in North America you have split-phase electric power which means two phases shifted by 180° which give 115 V between one phase and Neutral or 230 V between the two phases. This means single-phase power in any case.

It’s all written there:

The “Power Lines” column applies to inverter input power, output wires to the motor, the earth ground connection, and any other components shown in the “Basic System Description” on page 28.

– Source: Omron MX2 User’s Manual

So “Power lines” also apply to e.g. the wires to braking resistor.

The “Signal Lines” are all other lines and are recommended to be

18 to 28 AWG / 0.14 to 0.75 mm² shielded wire

Of course for a serial communication twisted pair could be enough, but generally I would use shielded cable for everything.

I would use shielded cable for everything. At least be sure to use shielded power cable for the spindle power cable.

Use shielded cables to avoid electrical interference. Not doing so might
result in unexpected behaviour or the unit.

Use shielded wiring for the motor cable and all analog and digital control
lines.

Allow the effective shield area of these lines to remain as large as possi-
ble; i.e., do not strip away the shield (screen) further away from the cable
end than absolutely necessary.

Omron MX2 User’s Manual

Only use shielded cables suitable for drag chains with a core cross-section
designed for the rated motor current. The cable shield must be grounded on
both sides.

Mechatron HFS Series High Frequency Motor Spindle’s Operator’s Handbook

Also it is strongly recommended to use a EMI Filter like shown in the picture above, e.g. I use this one for my 2.2 kW single-phase input VFD.

Usually a VFD is enclosed into a control cabinet because you need a few more things (e.g. Safety Relay wiring, or relays and 24 V DC power supply if you want to make the VFD switch the coolant pump on automatically when spindle is in RUN mode etc.), see here for more information.

1 Like