What type of electric is needed

What type of electrical service do I need for the journeyman cnc machine. Having shed wired in the next couple of weeks

There will be replies from people with more experience than me (Aiph5u amazes all of us). But it’s a topic I’ve been working on lately, so here’s one new user’s opinion:

1. The basic machine uses 110v to run the controller. You can use the same circuit (but a second outlet) to run a small transformer for the monitor. You might think the USB output from the controller could run the monitor, but it’s not powerful enough.
  2. You’ll also have to power a router. Most folks use a 110v Makita. Its circuit will generate an electrical field that could affect the precision movements that your controller tells the axes to make. So that power source should be a separate circuit (not just a separate outlet). I would even keep the cables from the circuit breaker box to your outlets separated by at least 1 joist space.

Then there are the other things you might want (now or later). The cost of getting the electrician to come is a big part of the total cost, so think about whether to install circuits or outlets for these:

1. Vacuum or dust collection, (for most people that’s a 110v device). It could be on the same circuit with the router, but not the controller. Tell your electrician how many amps your router and dust collector draw. (My water pump only draws 0.5 A). He/she will need that info to choose the circuit breaker size.
  2. Spindle some day? Most need a 220v circuit
    4a. If you install a spindle, you might want a water-cooled one. The pump for that is usually 110v.

In summary:

1. 110v for the controller and monitor
  2. 110v (separately) for router, vacuum (and maybe a water pump)
  3. 220v for spindle

Thank you for the information

You may want to do the 110V at 20A instead of 15A. Router at 6A and Vacuum at 9A could be overload of a regular 15A circuit. Nice having these together as many vacuums will automatically come on when the router does.