Which water pump

Hi

While I am waiting for delivery of my CNC I am getting some other parts. Has anyone got a good recommendation for a water pump?

Thanks
Owen

Hey Owen,

this was and is frequently asked.

You may have a look here (sorts by Relevance, you may change to sort by Latest):

cooling station
water pump
water chiller

2 Likes

Howdy!

I’ve been using this one from Amazon and using 3/8" hose. It works great and I have had it for about 16 months with no issues

1 Like

Be sure to check how high your hose will be. I have mine coming down from ceiling and a 10ft lift is barely adequate.

Dave is correct. If you have to much height between the pump and the spindle then smaller pumps won’t work. Mine is about 5 feet. Friction loss is also important and that can happen from too much hose or too small a diameter. Here is my install. Near the bottom of the post you’ll see the pictures with the bright yellow hoses

Also consider putting in a flow indicator. My work in progress: https://share.polymicro.net/v1-.MOV

I plan on having the liquid reservoir beneath the machine, so the liquid will be pulled upward by the pump. (I hope)

One question, my spindle has a 6mm hose connection. The pumps seem to have a bigger connection. Will this cause damage to the pump it it is pushing out more liquid than the spindle can receive?

No it wont.
Also, pump head is directly proportional to pump suction. In other words, if the pump can do 10 feet of head and you have added 3 feet of suction, you now have 7 feet of head left the pump can do. It’s always better to submerse the pump or place it at the same level as the water source (called flooded suction). You don’t have too, and there are plenty of examples where folks install a pump above a bucket or drum, but that is always the best if you can.

1 Like

Then make sure it is self priming, it needs to be able to pull the water up to the pump. Mine Is on the floor so I went with a submergible.