Z axis travel distance to table top

Hi folks,

I will start by saying that I have not received my machine yet (early April) and this is my first post on the forum so consider me a complete newbie :slight_smile:

I need to find out how far down the router bit can go past the table top. I haven’t found this info in the forum. So, in other words, if I put a standard bit length (1/4 by 2 1/2 with 1 inch cutting length) how far into the table top can I cut?

I know it sounds weird but I am trying to figure if I can cut 1 1/2 inch into the table top itself. :crazy_face:

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Stephane

New user here also, getting my machine in a few months. Doesn’t sound weird to me. I was considering doing the same to make an insert that would allow me to swap out a variety of custom jigs - or leave in a ‘filler’ piece. I imagine the answer you get will depend on the position you decide to mount your router, with the bits length of shank and cut perhaps allowing variation to this.

That is exactly what I was thinking would be the case.
Can’t wait to get my machine and start creating projects. The list grows every day.

Pictures for reference - but I think you’ll need a longer bit. With the Z-Axis in the lowest mounted position (there are 3 positions), and the spindle at it’s lowest, and clamped as deep as it will go. It looks like the spindle nose sits ~0.875" (~22mm) off the table.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this visual and description. It is extremely helpful.

@TMToronto You beat me to it :slight_smile:

Another silly question if I may.
If the bit being used has a cut length of 1 inch, can you use said bit to cut a pocket that is deeper than the 1 inch acknowledging that you would not be able to cut past the collet obviously :)?

In order words, can you cut deeper than the cutting length of the bit?
Does that make sense?

Yes, you might get a little bit of rubbing on the non-cutter part, but this is possible. I just ran a 1.5" deep contour with a bit that only has a 1" cutting length, with multiple passes (about 0.5" each pass). So long as you’re moving it’s fine, if you pause, you’ll rub and burn the material (if wood).

Excellent :crazy_face:

Would it be possible to use an endmill that has a ‘slightly smaller’ shank diameter compared to its flute diameter. It seems an ideal use case. I have not found one yet - - have not performed an exhaustive search - but I am sure they exist.

I think some “router” specific bits are like this, but it’s not a common place in the world of end-mills. Having equal shank/flute diameters is common place in most machining, and again, so long as you’re moving, it’s not an issue.

1 Like

I found this type of bit as a possible option for inclusion in a tool arsenal:

https://www.kodiakcuttingtools.com/viewproducts/carbide-end-mills-2-flute-long-reach-reduced-neck-carbide-end-mills

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

We also found one on amazon here :
https://www.amazon.ca/SpeTool-Flutes-Carbide-Square-Diameter/dp/B07Q4J4HVB

Already ordered :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing that. I may still try the other as if falls under the category of 'reduced neck/shank" bits, just to see how it compares. I do like the idea of a bit with a longer cutting flute as well.