1/8" collet for the Makita trim router?

Well dang guess I shouldn’t have bought mine a couple months ago lol thats the way it goes.

2 Likes

The Carbide 3D Compact Router Precision Collet Set (1/4" & 1/8") works on the Makita RT0701C.
$33.33 CAD (Robotshop)
$25.00 USD Carbide 3D

4 Likes

@Markevans36301 - Age-old question that has been asked many times. So far (at least 5 years I’ve been tracking), they have not. I don’t know why.

-Tom

1 Like

@gpv - interesting. I wonder how they compare to Elaire wrt to runout and such.

-Tom

@ACNailedit, following my collet purchase leap of faith, I’m thinking about buying a spark plug for a Ferrari. :laughing:

9 Likes

@Machinist That, sir, is how you win!

2 Likes

Thanks for hooking that up, Alex! I’m just about to hook up my Makita and totally forgot to grab a compatible collet. Many thanks!

Andrew

2 Likes

Thanks Alex,
I ordered and received my $5 refund that you arranged.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the Elaire 1/8" collet will fit the Rocky 30 trim router or the HF Bauer trim router?
I haven’t been able to find the makita in stock

No clue, but unlikely unless that router has the exact same geometry as the Makita. Even the Dewalt 1/8" won’t fit the Makita. I’d contact Elaire - they are generally super great about answering questions.

-Tom

Thanks, I sent them a message as well. I’ll post an update here when I hear back from them. Hopefully they’re the same dimensions.

On a somewhat related topic, has anyone ever tried one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YZ388LX/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A431F1DAPCHJP&psc=1

I was looking around amazon last night & ran across this one. Not sure if or how much wobble something like this would add the the bit, but if it worked, it would be a nice adapter for any 1/4" router.

I haven’t - I’m curious what the additional run out would be. Though for some of my woodworking in the garage, this could be very helpful and a few extra thou of run out wouldn’t matter.

-Tom

Tom, on these it’s not so much the additional runout as much as the effect of placing the tip of the cutter so much farther away from the bearing support of the router. This was one thing I didn’t like about the little DC spindle I used to run on my x-carve. Compared to a router, the tip of the cutter could be as much as 3" away from bearing support, resulting in a lot of additional flex of the cutter. I would not consider this a suitable workaround for a proper 1/8" collet, unless use of a 1/8" shank cutter was seldom. If you do go this route, slow feed is necessary.

1 Like

Great points Bill. I’ve experienced a lot of flex with my 1/8" bit that is 3" long (needed for a deep cut) - all sorts of bad things happened when I tried to speed up the cut. Curious how far I can go with the OF vs the X-Carve though?

Assuming you have a good solid cutter setup to minimize flex, the OF is capable of larger & more accurate cuts than the X-Carve, just from a machine construction standpoint.

Yep. I’m still running my X-Carve settings since I need to pound out a couple things before I start experimenting. Since the X-Carve can do it, the OF can! :wink:

-Tom

Would anyone who has the makita router mind to measure their 1/4" or 1/8" collet adapter?

I just took my Rocky 30 router collet out & at the widest point of the top of the cone it measures about 13.7mm, 8.4mm at the straight area just before the tail end, 9.4mm at the bump out at the bottom end & 16.5mm tall.
Just thinking if the dimensions of the 1/4" collets are the same, there may be a good chance the aftermarket 1/8" collets would be the same too.
I’d really like to try one of the 1/8" makita collets, but I’d also hate to throw $30 away if it doesn’t fit…that could go into a couple more nice 1/4" bits :slight_smile:

I’ve used some of the 1/2" to 1/4" collet sleeves over the years in handheld & table mounted routers, while they work, they can be a pain to keep in place while locking them down.

Here’s a couple pictures of the rocky 1/4" collet:

This is what my stock Makita 1/4" collet measures:

Seems nearly identical in shape/size.

-Tom

3 Likes

Yep, I got the same measurements.

Awesome guys, thanks!
I still haven’t heard back from anyone at Elaire, but with the holidays & stuff I figure it might be a week or so.
We might be in luck, I think those measurements are well within tolerances (not to mention my cheapie digital caliper)