1/8" collet for the Makita trim router?

Little update…
I was able to finally find a Makita on Amazon & got it delivered!

I can confirm that aside from the speed control & on/off switch locations that the Makita & Rocky 30 trim routers are virtually identical.
The collets are the same size & shape, although the makita collet was a bit rougher than the rocky.
Bases are identical aside from the texture on the aluminum & the name makita stamped in the overmold rubber.
Rack & pinion mechanism works smoothly with either router in either base.
The Rocky 30 only comes with a 22mm wrench but I’m sure we all have an extra 13mm wrench laying around the shop to use for the other bit changing wrench.
Both even came with the same “edge guide”.
If you’re not brand loyal or if you just want to save about $30, you might want to consider the Rocky 30 from MLCS woodworking.
(i have no affiliation with MLCS, but i’ve bought bits & various other things from them over the years & they’ve always had quick shipping & good service)

Now it’s just a waiting game for the 1/8" collet… oh yeah & the onefinity machine to be delivered :slight_smile:

Which Makita Router is everyone using. I need to go pick one up. I will be assembling my OF this weekend

Here you go Shawn: Supported Routers/Spindles

-Alex

2 Likes

Thank you! This is perfect

If you send them an email and tell them you are part of this group they will REFUND $5 off for shipping!!

1 Like

I ordered my OneFinity also a few weeks ago and started reading this forum. I ordered my Makita router at Amazon and never gave it a thought about running 1/8" bits that I have from previous cnc machines. The DeWalt that I have in the present CNC wouldn’t accept 1/8" bits so I purchased from Amazon the following…
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016PYR0YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tried this in my new Makita and it works fine as it should since it has a 1/4" shaft. I will still be looking to purchase a collet insert for the present Makita nut… Have a safe day.

Hey Daniel - the collet extenders will work, but they do tend to increase the runout a fair bit - like an additional 0.005 or so, which could get fairly dicey if your router has 0.002-0.003 already. Not saying that is your case, just expressing what I’ve seen in the past.

-Tom

2 Likes

Yes I agree completely. Was there a posting for the CORRECT collet to order on Amazon or other places.

I just ordered two more 1/8" collets should be here this week.
Elaire Corporation

Also checkout this post by Alex.
Elaire 1/8” collet for Makita - $5 DISCOUNT - Accessories - Onefinity Forum (onefinitycnc.com)

3 Likes

Makita sells a 1/4" collet: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00080BJRA/

Anyone found a UK based company to supply these?

1 Like

Yes I just got mine got 5 back 3 minutes after I sent email to mark

Has anyone tried this collet?

Dale, I’m receiving one today sometime from Sienci Labs but its arriving this evening and will have to wait till tomorrow morning for me to try it out. I’ll let you know after I do some small runs. Unless someone else has already tried it.

Yes i am using that one right now ,and it is working good :+1: the first one was from Robotshop and every time i was using it I broke a 1/8" bit

Yep I’m with Yvon and it works well. I tried it out on 1/4 birch plywood compression bit one pass worked great.

I see Roboshop have 1/8th collects in stock. Problem is you have to buy the 1/4 as well they come as a set. Mines on order

Yep I ordered one to ship to uk as it was cheaper than getting one in the UK no problems with so far

I looked at buying from the States but the shipping killed it stone dead, free shipping from Roboshop in the UK

I’ve been using this - Amana Tool - RB-102 High… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NI6KO8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.

Works just fine but a dedicated collet would be nice.

1 Like