220 volt huanyang vfd

Does anyone know which connections to wire A220 Volt VFD if you could please post a picture to help me understand better

My HY controller has three places to connect 240v power to. It has 3 just in case you are supplying it with 3 phase power. If you are only using single phase 240v (which most of us have) then you just need to connect the two wires to any 2 of the 3 terminals leaving nothing connected to the 3rd terminal. It doesn’t matter which two so I used the two terminals the farthest apart.

1 Like

thanks Alex I appreciate the help.
Just want to make sure I do this right I had the water-cooled spindle and it leaked all over my CNC table

@Dr-Al is this what we would do

• I will have same project soon.
2 Likes

Hey Alex just out of curiosity what size wire did you use to wire the aircraft plug on your spindle ?

I used 16 gauge shielded wire. It has a thin 5th bare wire as well as an aluminum foil wrapped around the wires. I tied the ground wire to ground (E) inside the VFD as well as to pin 4 on the spindle connector to help remove any EMI.

1 Like

Did you happen to tie the 5th bare wire to pin 4 as well as the cable’s green ground wire to pin 4? It would seem like not enough room in that solder cup!

From what I understand, the shielding/drain wire should only be tied to the Earth ground on the side of the vfd. Otherwise you could have a ground loop. (i.e. a shielding/drain wire should only be grounded on one end.

On the spindle end of the cable, you will solder the ground(green) to pin 4. You will also need to check for continuity on pin 4 on the spindle to the casing of the spindle. If there is no continuity, you will need to ground the chassis to the inside of the Pin4 connector. Some of the spindles, this is done at the manufacture, but many it is not done as this is not a requirement in China.

I should be getting my spindle in the next couple of couple of weeks. Maybe I can take a few pics/videos when I am doing mine.

Hey Dean,

Since the 4th wire, PE, is already there, and shield and PE are interconnected, there can not be a ground loop introduced by connecting shield at both ends. If there was a ground loop, it would already be there with the PE wire.

Also PE and shield do not participate in a current flow here (=PE and shield are no circuit conductors that complete the circuit back to the source). The three-phase current here needs no neutral wire. PE is just for safety here.

Both earth portions of the shielded cable must be connected to the earth point by cable clamps.

– Source: Omron MX2 User’s Manual

An example of a ground loop is if your cable TV provider grounds its cable in his distributor board out there a few miles down the road and then it is grounded again at your cable TV wall outlet or in the receiver. This can produce a lot of hum that deteriorates the signal. This is because in an unbalanced line, ground participates in signal flow (=ground is a circuit conductor that completes the circuit back to the source here). The solution here would be galvanic isolation.

You are right here, internal connection between the 4th pin (PE) and the spindle case, and then the PE wire connected to earth, is mandatory in terms of saftey. For the same reason, all metal parts of a CNC machine should be grounded too.

Since I posted this question, I found the following article from a major automation manufacturer:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en-us/company/news/the-journal/2-rules-for-properly-terminating-vfd-cables.html

which seem to agree with what @Aiph5u posted (thanks @Aiph5u !)

1 Like

Great info guys. So if I understand correctly you are saying tie the E ground(green-green yellow) wire and the braided shield and drain wire to pin 4 of the aviation connector on one end (This is the part I was leaving open in my original remarks, I was only ground to put the E to pin 4) and to E on the vfd (This is the part I always intended to do)

I was planning on using 16AWG.

While I’m not sure how this is really any different (continuity-wise), I plan on attaching the drain wire to the aviation connector’s “shell” by having the drain “bent back” and getting clamped in the aviation connector’s strain relief. I found this reference here. Australian electrical codes, and this is for a 0.8kw spindle & vfd (as it relates to wire sizes referenced)

from the pdf, here’s a quick image:

I was recently reading up on spindle/VFD connections - getting ready for mine to arrive - and saw many VFD cable references that preferred this type of 360 degree connection. Also using special cable gland connectors at the VFD enclosure that grabs and pinches the bare braided shield. Some manufacturers also sell kits with flat tinned copper straps for this connection. The idea is that much of the high frequency interference travels on the outside surface of the copper core and not inside, so the aforementioned methods are more effective to control its travel.

Hey Tom,

yes, this is correct, put together ground wires in one point.

In the picture I showed above the spindle PE goes to VFD heatsink which is firmly connected to mounting plate of control cabinet; EMI filter with its PE on input is directly connected with its case to this plate too. See also here how EMI filter is connected to VFD back. Here the mounting plate of control cabinet is the center.